When librarians smelled vinegar, they knew the clock was ticking to save...

5 Likes

This is an interesting matter. The longevity of paper and ink records is remarkable. 20th-century technology is less robust. How will digital artefacts such as PDF, HTML and JPEG persist?

I lost my sister last year and edited her husband’s book about their lives. We had many reasons to undertake this project. The most compelling reason for me was to leave a legacy to future generations. I’m confident that descendants can read the book for decades and possibly centuries.

My website has 80,000+ photos and 2,000+ stories about our adventures in the 21st century. How can that be preserved? When I pass, my family will cancel the web hosting subscription, and, in an instant, everything will be gone.

My descendants will probably have little interest in my sister or me. However, I would like to give them the possibility. Digital Records are more fragile than tablets of stone!

https://clanmills.com/2022/RobertBoyd/

2 Likes

Thanks @afre ! Very interesting… and a little concerning…

That’s a good point that worries me too, to some extent. I wonder if one can submit stuff to the Internet Archive?

@123sg I’ve also wondered about the internet archive and about putting everything on a Rasberry PI, or a VM. On the other hand, why worry? We’re all in a losing battle with the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

2 Likes

True I guess!

Now that seems to remind me of a line in a Dorothy Sayers novel… :thinking:

I’ve never heard of Dorothy Sayers. I invented this saying when I worked for a Consulting Engineer in Finland. I realised that the effort to design a paper mill is colossal. One million engineering man hours to design and document that huge machine. In less than a human lifetime, it will be landfill. Nothing lasts.

3 Likes

Wow. That certainly puts thing into perspective.

English writer from ~1930s-ish. Best known character Lord Peter Wimsey. And… I found the quote I was thinking of! (sorry about the off topic - I’ll try and shut up after this!)

…‘But you do believe in me don’t you?’
‘We believe in you Miss Kohn,’ said Wimsey, solemnly, ‘as devoutly as in the second law of thermodynamics.’
‘What are you getting at?’ said Mr Simons, suspiciously.
‘The second law of thermodynamics,’ explained Wimsey, helpfully, ‘which holds the universe in its path, and without which time would run backwards like a cinema film wound the wrong way.’
‘No, would it?’ exclaimed Miss Kohn. rather pleased…

page 296 of Have His Carcase by Dorothy Sayers.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@123sg Fascinating. I must have been sleeping in my English class in High School when she was discussed. For sure, I’d never heard of the Second Law of Thermodynamics in High School.

Well done to recognise and find that extract. Thanks.

2 Likes