When Will RT Run on Mac OS 10.15.2 Catalina?

I did a little bit of reading and as I understand the following that should have been fixed for 5.7: macOS Catalina Crash — Incompatible Library · Issue #5385 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub However you are saying it hasn’t so maybe they didn’t actually get around to do the notarization with apple for 5.7. In the future it looks like there’s a push to add a mac CI, see macOS CI pipeline - automated builds · Issue #5550 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub for progress.

1 Like

I did try one of the dev builds referenced and it still crashes on launch.
Guess I will wait until 5.8 to see it works.

Thanks.

V5.6 crashes and the v5.5 too !

Yes, no version works on Catalina 10.2.5.

Compilation Issues

The issue is being worked on by a brain trust of volunteers. I haven’t had more than an hour or two at a time three or four times a week to contribute, recently, to packaging RT from scratch. There is a plethora of 3rd-party dependent libraries. Several of the dependencies are transitioning from autotools to meson. These libraries are compiled as a chain of versioned dependencies prior to RT.

Notarization:

I haven’t had any problems notarizing RT with my Apple Dev Key. I added the script to handle notarization during the Catalina beta.

Alternatives?

Compilation

Some macOS RT users depend on libraries provided by homebrew or macports to simplify compiling on their own (or automatically) with various degrees of success, which also allows them to compile some parts using native CPU optimizations. Native builds run faster than generic or official builds most people use. Instructions are here.

Docker

Docker users on macOS can utilize the kd6kxr/rawtherapee-dev container to run a recent RT development series build.

In re: Title of Thread

With regard to your original question, here are some hard statistics:

• Number of people getting paid to make generic macOS builds

• Number of people who have donated via PayPal to offset the many many hours spent during each development series of RT to package for macOS:

• Amount of time I get paid to think about the issue, per week:

• Number of dynamically-loaded 3rd party dependent libraries used by RT on macOS:

• Number of macOS users needed to test new builds when they are ready:

• IDK, a couple dozen. For 5.7 there were a few testers who successfully ran the build, and a few who obtained various errors. The errors are partially due to Catalina which only went public around the same time as 5.7; packaged under macOS 10.15ß5, compatibility was and is still under development (see above stats).

:barber:

5 Likes

V5.6 crashes and the v5.5 too !

@cezanna More details and crash reports, if you please.
Edit I just found your threads.
RawTherapee freeze on catalina 10.15.2
RT v5.6 and 5.5 crash on catlalina 15.2 - #2 by HIRAM

Hi Hiram,

First I want to thank you and your fellow volunteers on this project.

If I did not make it clear, I wanted to try this package to see if I liked it for my work. I was not complaining since I know this is a free, volunteer supported project. I am sorry if my question gave you that impression. I was merely inquiring about the September 23 message that stated “We are working on the problem.”

If RT, one day, works on MacOS then I will try it. There are other options for me to try in the meanwhile.

Thanks again!

1 Like

No prob, I use RT a lot. You’re not as frustrated about it as me: I started compiling RT in my kitchen a few years back to see if I could iron out some errors. The latest crop of errors coincided with a huge increase in pro workload on my stack.

HIRAM,

One feature of RT I really wanted to test is the Negative Conversion tool. The only other really good tool is a Lightroom Plugin called Negative Lab Pro which costs $100 by itself plus the Adobe tax.
Since I do not use LR/PS that tool is not an option.

Can’t comment on mac performance issues, but I can attest that RT is pretty solid on Windows 10. You could give wine https://www.winehq.org/ and the windows version of Rawtherapee a try.

I tried the latest version of RT on keybase and it crashes apparently for the same reason

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
Reason: Incompatible library version: ImageIO requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libexpat.1.dylib provides version 1.0.0

This sounds strange. The released RT 5.7 runs on my Catalina 10.15.2, i.e. no dyld errors. It just crashes sometimes when loading previews. Starting it repeatedly until it runs in such cases. Afterwards RT runs reliably.

@Lysander: which specific error do you encounter: quick dyld error or delayed crash at startup?

Were you running RT before upgrading to 10.5.2? I was not.

I gather it has to do with specific libraries.

In any event others have reported the crash on launch error so it not so “strange.”
SEE: Can’t Open 5.7 on a Mac

I did neither run RT before 10.15.2. Luckily the released 5.7 binaries work for me.
I said “strange” because the RawTherapee.app package should contain all required libraries and thus behave alike on each Catalina 10.15.2. There seems to be an issue with packaging, so that the behaviour changes depending on other installed libraries.

It is great that RT works on you Mac. Hopefully, one day, some of the great folks who work on the RT project will have a chance to ensure it runs on all Macs. Until then…

So now with Catalina 10.15.3 Raw Therapee loads!

BUT: I cannot access my photo library which is stored on an external volumn…is there a fix?

Have you given RT file system access in Security and Privacy settings? If yes, then you need to navigate to /Volumes/Your-disk-name

This worked:

rfranke

3d

The same happened to me with Catalina 10.15.2. It is caused by
System Preferences … → Security & Privacy
where RawTherapee has no rights to access “Files and Folders”.
Other programs trigger a popup dialog asking for confirmation upon first usage.

Here is a workaround: open Finder, navigate to Applications, right click (two fingers) on RawTherapee and select “Show Package Contents”. Double click on
Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee
Then a terminal window will open, start RT and appropriately ask for permissions.

Just to be warned: my second caveat was that RT regularly crashed at startup. In case this happens to you as well: keep trying until RT runs. RT 5.7 works reliably otherwise. The problem is related to GUI updates to show the progress during load of previews. It is macOS (Catalina?) specific and shall be fixed in the upcoming RT 5.8.

There is a new build to test (now on the 5.8 tag)

https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_OSX_10.9_64_5.8.zip

Hiram,

On Catalina 10.15.3 RT 5.8 build opens but I cannot navigate an external hard drive. It shows the volumes but I cannot open them. Same issue as 5.7.