When Will RT Run on Mac OS 10.15.2 Catalina?

Were you running RT before upgrading to 10.5.2? I was not.

I gather it has to do with specific libraries.

In any event others have reported the crash on launch error so it not so “strange.”
SEE: Can’t Open 5.7 on a Mac

I did neither run RT before 10.15.2. Luckily the released 5.7 binaries work for me.
I said “strange” because the RawTherapee.app package should contain all required libraries and thus behave alike on each Catalina 10.15.2. There seems to be an issue with packaging, so that the behaviour changes depending on other installed libraries.

It is great that RT works on you Mac. Hopefully, one day, some of the great folks who work on the RT project will have a chance to ensure it runs on all Macs. Until then…

So now with Catalina 10.15.3 Raw Therapee loads!

BUT: I cannot access my photo library which is stored on an external volumn…is there a fix?

Have you given RT file system access in Security and Privacy settings? If yes, then you need to navigate to /Volumes/Your-disk-name

This worked:

rfranke

3d

The same happened to me with Catalina 10.15.2. It is caused by
System Preferences … → Security & Privacy
where RawTherapee has no rights to access “Files and Folders”.
Other programs trigger a popup dialog asking for confirmation upon first usage.

Here is a workaround: open Finder, navigate to Applications, right click (two fingers) on RawTherapee and select “Show Package Contents”. Double click on
Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee
Then a terminal window will open, start RT and appropriately ask for permissions.

Just to be warned: my second caveat was that RT regularly crashed at startup. In case this happens to you as well: keep trying until RT runs. RT 5.7 works reliably otherwise. The problem is related to GUI updates to show the progress during load of previews. It is macOS (Catalina?) specific and shall be fixed in the upcoming RT 5.8.

There is a new build to test (now on the 5.8 tag)

https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_OSX_10.9_64_5.8.zip

Hiram,

On Catalina 10.15.3 RT 5.8 build opens but I cannot navigate an external hard drive. It shows the volumes but I cannot open them. Same issue as 5.7.

Ok that is wierd…
you have tried /Volumes ?
Is SIP on or off? (System integrity protection). Perhaps we can see in the about Report..
Running from /Applications ?
Any messages related to rawtherapee showing up in the /Applications/Utilities/Console app when this happens?

HIRAM,

SIP is on by default.
App run from /Applications

I did not see any messages.

In any event, the fact the it launches without crashing is a step forward. Hopefully, whatever functionality is causing the navigation problem will be solved.

Ok,. the one sure way to get 5.8 to work on default security is to physically add /bin/sh to Full Disk Access under Privacy in the Security & Privacy Control Panel.

You may need to navigate to the /bin folder using Go > Go to Folder… (Command-Shift-G)
You can drag sh onto the panel.

2 Likes

HIRAM,

Thanks. This solution worked.

1 Like

Hello @HIRAM.
New security on Catalina is a pain indeed. Did you try the workaround we made on Siril (thanks to Alex from GIMP) ?
It allows to access to every folder without adding /bin/sh to Full Disk Access under Privacy in the Security & Privacy Control Panel.
You can take a look here:

Cheers,

5 Likes

Thanks yes I am investigating transferring setup from /bun/sh to main()

https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/issues/5635#

1 Like

OK.
Gimp is doing like that and Inkscape too (in c++ for this latter).

https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_OSX_10.9_64_5.8-81-g3350394c2.zip

@lock042 and macOS users this is a test of a simplified bundle structure. Accessing folders in Catalina raises the standard security prompt. /bin/sh is no longer used so that may be removed from your Security & Privacy control panel.

1 Like

Could test it tomorrow

2 Likes

Also note that I disabled the overlay-hidden scrollbars as a test… it’s easier to pull the panes around via remote on a touch tablet but if it is too ugly I can revert. I had wondered what ever happened to those scroll bars anyway…

Can you use the visible scrollbars (“equals zero”) or do you prefer the automagically-hiding overlay scrollbars (“equals one”)?

• GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0
  • GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=1

0 voters

:red_gift_envelope:

@HIRAM, that looks good to me. If you want me I test something please tell me.

As long as processing and saving are working, that is the main thing. One issue that may come up is with îñtėrńåtįøñāl characters in the paths. That has caused crashes in the past and the hotfix was written in the executable loader script, which is no longer existing. Many thanks for testing @lock042 !