Where do people share photos? And why? (Plus Beijing photo showcase/dump)

I wondered how other people share pictures publicly? Also what are the motivations?

I’d quite like to get constructive critiques of my pics, sometimes, but I’ve found that when I’ve posted the odd pic on public forums (like, say, on Discord), random people on the internet are, against stereotype, just so nice. They also probably have better things to do.

Anyway, after a family-necessity trip to Beijing, I ended up with about 90 photos of variable quality that I’ll nevertheless probably keep (linked in Apple iCloud album below, assuming that’s allowed). I’ve sent them to a few family and friends. Normally I’d post pics on Facebook (my only use for the site) for distant friends but 90 pics is way over the top. I have empty Instagram and Flickr accounts that I opened years ago and never used but have no idea how to use them effectively.

4 Likes

For sharing via cloud storage I only use nextcloud on my own webserver to keep control over my own content. I share folders with family and friends so they can watch or download my photos for a specific time period.

When I make snapshots with my phone I often send them via Whatsapp.

2 Likes

I’m not much good at sharing really. When I “cover” an event that I’m involved with I share anything up to 50 pics or so on Facebook now - I avoided FB for years but gave in as it seems the only way to get my pics to most of my friends/family who might like them… it seems that way anyway. I often split it into two sets so it’s a little easier to view - FB being (naturally) hopeless in terms of basic things like thumbnails (whats?).

I have a Flickr account, but haven’t used it much since getting into (a) my website (which reminds me I’m behind with posting there) and (b) Facebook (again).

I agree it’s surprisingly hard to get good constructive feedback. I think it can be hard to do politely - I know that if I like an image, it’s easy to find something to say about it, whereas if I don’t like one I’m more inclined to put it down to “not my taste” and move on, without leaving comment, as I feel that my input would be of doubtful use anyway… make sense? Not sure.

I’ve just clicked through your album, and found some images I thought were “Ah, very nice!” (I think this was the largest category actually…) some that were “not bad, glad I got to see it” and maybe a few that were “meh… doesn’t do much for me - nothing wrong with it though”

But this kind of bulk feedback isn’t much use - and TBH, no offence meant at all, I’d find it a bit tedious writing a “pros and cons” for each image… and I’d feel who am I to be judging anyway!

Sorry about the long post - maybe not much point in posting! But anyway, thanks for sharing your photos! Enjoyed the album.

Edit: On rereading my post felt it seemed a bit critical/harsh - that wasn’t my intention. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey. Thanks for the feedback. Useful ideas. I guess I should cut the pics that I know myself are meh and do several posts in themes on FB. Part of what spurred the question was that I recently did a one-day natural light portrait course at my local photo gallery and I was the only one who had no instagram presence. The tutor was like, ‘everyone write down their instagram address so we can share our images.’

2 Likes

Yeah, I hate when they just assume that everyone does things the same way.

I share a little here and there, usually just for social purposes (MeWe, Twitter, and a few lesser known special interest forums). I have a very few that I think are especially good posted on Flickr. But I don’t have any particular gallery site that I try to post a lot of stuff to.

2 Likes

I have recently started sharing on mastodon. The response has been positive.

5 Likes

I have a private blog (on Uberspace, using Publii), where we share pictures of our family with friends and family.

Additionally, we print yearly photo books with Cewe and distribute them as Christmas presents. A percentage of their price is applied as a discount to Cewe MyPhotos, their photo cloud hosting thingy, making this more or less “free” to use for distributing digital albums for events or vacations. I’ve been pretty happy overall with Cewe, though, they even have good Linux software.

Beyond that, I generally do not share photos anywhere publicly, beyond the occasional play-raw on this site. I have recently joined a local photo club, though, and could see myself taking part in their weekly photo critiques every now and then.

2 Likes

Interesting. I signed up there to follow people with expertise on various things but hadn’t thought about posting. I think I remember there was a photo community but it had stopped taking subs at the time because of the Elon surge

I’m a member of a local group that is only just restarting monthly critiques. People are still very kind. I guess it’s inevitable

I mostly share them here and with my friends and family using the regular chat platforms (signal, discord, etc). For my non-private pictures I don’t have monetary motivations and goals so I don’t mind sharing most of my best ones publicly and openly at full res.

Great pictures by the way. I particularly like the cooling towers (first), the delivery man sleeping on his bike and the couple(?) by the river, where he has a flower crown.

1 Like

Thanks. I waited ages hoping he would turn around but he didn’t oblige.

1 Like

I post stuff on my Flickr, Facebook, Instagram and DpReview. For the most part get very little constructive feed back on photos I post. On FB I usually post in groups that have to do with what area I live in which I get the most comments on but not much constructive comments.

Lot of times I get more questions about where I took the photo and about some of the stupid things I do to get a photo lol I don’t put any meanings or title on my photos and I don’t like to write but when I do write about my photo treks that’s when people reply the most. Lots of times I end up doing some stupid shit that I need to get the photo. So seems most people seem to want to hear the story about the time I took that photo.

I noticed there use to be way more constructive criticism before digital and in early digital days.

1 Like

Intriguing!

I think you’re right that photos for most people are just annotations, probably more so with the advent of casual use camera phones. Friends think I’m weird when I tell them I’m going to edit my pics before showing them…

1 Like

I recently used the “Vero” application, similar to Instagram but used only by amateur or professional photographers. You can insert tags or comments but you will receive (I think) only likes. Seems well done to me.
Greetings Roberto

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Will have a look

For critical feedback, Flickr has critique groups you can submit images to, which exist purposefully for that kind of thing. I’ve never used them, but in theory they should suit your need.

Pixls.us also has the ‘critique’ category.

1 Like

This Flickr group seems to offer very constructive criticism:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/70428772@N00
as opposed to “your shot is pants, get lost”. Not that I’ve posted in it, I’ve just looked.

I like Vero, but I haven’t seen criticism there. I just follow a number of professionals I like there.

2 Likes

For those not on the intertubes long enough there use to be a site called usefilm.com in early 2000’s that you could post photo but you have to rate and comment on other’s works to get more upload/rating/comment credits. I think it switched to http://www.imageopolis.com later on. I still got some early photos on there that I no longer have on my hdd’s Ohhh here’s my gallery starting my my film scans :slight_smile: Arek Halusko Photographer

1 Like

Nice. That 90s/00s web design takes me back.

2 Likes