Where does GIMP store it's .exe file after installation?

Hi everyone,
I’m currently trying to set GIMP as an “open-in” option for Faststone Image Viewer.
To do so I need to locate GIMP’s .exe file.
I can’t seem to find the file for GIMP. I’ve looked in all the folders inside of C:/Users/[user]/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/2.10. A search in the GIMP folder for “.exe” yielded no results.
Where does GIMP store it’s .exe file?

(I’m running Windows 10).
Thanks.

I don’t remember if I specified a unique location. Mine is here:

GIMP-XXXX\gimp\bin\gimp.exe

@Dunlin
Why would anyone place a Windows .exe
in C:/Users/[user]/AppData/Roaming/GIMP/2.10?

Wouldn’t it be more natural to look for it in
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin?

That’s where I was told it was (by a real person, not an online source).
C:/Program Files was the first place I looked. There’s no “GIMP” folder.
I just remembered, I installed it via the Microsoft App store. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I’ll look into it.

duckduckgo is your friend: Redirecting

Putting entire programs under the user profile isn’t uncommon for per-user installations. I’m not a big fan of it but I’ve seen it done more than a few times. The advantage is touted as being that no administrative rights are required for a user to install to that location. I’m always an admin on my own boxen so it’s not an issue for me.

This is what I used to find out where my installation was: using Everything, one of my favourite pieces of software. Alternatively, right click the GIMP icon and then:

1. go to Open in file location or
  2. context window → Properties → see Target: field

You may have to do this a few times before you reach the actual exe file location. Using the latter method, the location turns out to be C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Programs\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe.

So, different from the [path]\GIMP-[version]\gimp\bin\gimp.exe path I shared earlier.

Thanks everyone for the help.
I uninstalled the Microsoft Store version of GIMP and installed it from the official GIMP website.
The location is, like @afre wrote, C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Programs\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe .

Thanks again.

1 Like

Glad I could be of service!

BTW I edit your posts to remove the - on the line before your concluding statements. - by itself will affect the formatting of the preceding content. Please refrain from bolding the entire message.

Oh, sorry about the formatting.
It’s a habit I’m in from the DPR forums; I guess the bolding was automatic.

Just a note about installing Gimp, in case a new user hits on this thread.

It might be that the MS Store installation is totally automatic, I do not know, always best to get the latest installer straight from the Gimp site www.gimp.org

When you run the installer there is the option to install for user only, I think the all users option is best but up to the user.

One thing I do recommend is use the Customize option. Follow it through and not only does it show the installation location, which you can change. You can then save 136 MB by unticking translations and also enable the option for a desktop shortcut.

Whichever way you install, Windows Gimp will make the Gimp user profile in “C:\Users"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10” If you want different to that, the easiest way is install one of the portable Gimp versions.

Often most self updating programs are installed somewhere in the user space , to prevent permission issues. Every electron app is installed that way for instance.

But I think Gimp is still in program files , which is still the most natural place for a win program to be in.