Where is the "legacy" configuration button gone?

Yes I think you’d have to choose one of the scene-referred modes then have a preset to disable color calibration and manually change the white balance to “as shot” on every image. I’ll be honest I haven’t built master for a while so I haven’t tried it yet.

See issue where discussion was done. We favor the modern workflow so scene-referred + filmic/sigmoid and so color calibration. People wanting to mix display referred workflow + color calibration can use the None setting and create auto-applied presets. But again this is not a combination that we want to support.

EDIT: The goal was to simplified the prefs by proposing combination that are working well together.

No, they can’t, because you can’t create auto-applied presets for white balance (to select “D65” or “as shot”). This was the whole point of the separate setting. For example, let me arbitrarily assign goodness to some combinations of things…

• scene-referred + modern CAT = very good
  • scene-referred + legacy CAT = OK
  • display-referred + modern CAT = bad
  • display-referred + legacy CAT = very bad

You’ve made it easier to do “very bad” and “very good” but the two middle options are very difficult because both of them require a setting on the white balance module that can’t be automated with a preset. Scene-referred defaults involve some interplay between exposure and filmic and those can’t be easily automated either.

If the goal is to propose goodness, the solution is to do away with (deprecate) the legacy stuff altogether (though I’m not convinced that is a good idea either).

1 Like

My comment would be that the argument for this change is fine if you can guarantee solid D65 values to the user but when you can’t it is now harder to simply fallback on a more accurate solution ie the wb as-shot data strait from the camera… The technically superior modern CAT is rendered inferior in this case where the D65 values are off.

That was my concern… as I very much like the ‘OK’ option.

In terms of “combinations that work well together” the module order should be entirely unconnected with the CAT method (since all CAT should take place in scene-referred space anyway). I have just noticed, though, that color calibration appears after base curve in the legacy module order – IMO this is just incorrect. Similarly with the other newer modules (color balance rgb and diffuse/sharpen).

2 Likes

I thought the legacy module order was unrelated to the workflow settings? I remember reading how the base curve had been moved later in the pipe… not sure in what context this was.

Not just reference values… If your shot is too far from ‘daylight’ , the camera matrix / profile messes with the colours in a way that color-calibration can’t fix them.
Modern color workflow works fine for shots near enough to daylight , but simply doesn’t work for tungsten dor example. Those cameras seem to need a tungsten matrix , where others don’t seem to care .

I’m probably feeling this way because of my issues , but the color-calibration as white-balance workflow seems not usable for quite a portion of the user base , in certain lighting situations.

1 Like

This fits with me… I find that for my sort of photography, the color calibration workflow is just an unnecessary step, that can actually cause more problems than it solves. I’m really not ‘bashing’ ( :grin:) the CC module, as I think it it’s really useful, both the other aspects of it, and the chromatic adaptation in situations where it’s needed. It’s just that it doesn’t give much benefit in some situations, which happens to be quite often with me.
I’d be willing to use presets if need be to get back to the ‘legacy’ wb’ settings, but it sounds like that’s not currently possible. If someone could confirm whether it is or isn’t it would clear things up a bit. I’ll try to make time to try it myself later, but I’m on my laptop right now and need to run… :wave: :running_man:

The initial workflow script provided in the thread about using modules in lua could modify wb settings. I wonder if this might be a way to automate this… it will do auto exposure and auto filmic levels as well as set global chroma and sat in CB module… I will have to see how it behaves with these new defaults…

Ah, if one don’t use color calibration but camera WB, it breaks the scene workflow? Because it’s too early in the pipe? CC is later in the pipe. Makes sense.

1 Like

No actually this works fine - it’s my usual workflow! It can be less accurate, and you miss out on the special features in CC, but it doesn’t upset the workflow or pipeline.

1 Like

Not a problem…hover over any module and you can see input out and processing… Note the tooltip

2 Likes

I tried that. I set the modern chromatic adaptation workflow in preferences (dt4.2), and created auto-applied presets turning off CC and setting WB to as shot. The presets apply fine, but all images get the WB values from when I made the preset.

I know there’s a long way to go until the next release, but I believe that dt should keep the option of just the WB module with modern everything else. That can’t be done now, in 4.3, without manually changing it for each shot.

To keep it,something needs changing, either 1: have some form of the WB/CC option back in the preferences, or 2: make ‘dynamic’ (for want of a better word) presets available. Actually, this latter option is already there in the profiled denoise module I think? I think there was some discussion about presets for seting preferred defaults in filmic, which might be another application for this.

I know I’m not able to do any work on this, so I’m not saying anyone “should” do anything.

It’s just that I feel that a useful option is being lost. Any thoughts?

Yes, this is what I was referring to. The problem is that the preset stores the specific r,g,b coefficients – the “as shot” button is just a way to set those coefficients on an image-by-image basis using exif data and this can’t currently be done in a preset (since “as shot” generates different coefficients for every image).

1 Like

Start an issue in GitHub and explain this specific problem. I think with clarity of the impact we can reach a solution.

1 Like

I use Styles rather than presets to set up the initial edit position. This means you know which modules are on or off; what values they have whether initially on or off; and you have the module order you want. Seems to work well for me.

But it doesn’t do the r g b coefficients, as @elstoc explains above. (I suggested a good while back that White Balance should store the user’s choice as well as actual coeffs)

1 Like

Do you know how it works in the denoise (profiled) module? You can set ‘chroma only’ as a preset and it still picks up the ISO from the image.

Thanks @RawConvert and @g-man . I’m installing the latest windows build to make sure that things are how I think they are, then I’ll see about a Github issue.

I think setting the workflow to none seems to use legacy wb… at least on the few images I compressed…but then you have the issue with having to manually set filmic with an autopreset… but you usually have to make some adjustment to filmic anyway so it might not be that bad…

2 Likes

Ah, thanks, I misunderstood Pascal.