Where to download GIMP appimage?

Gimp (stable) is at 2.10.30 and I can’t find any recent appimage. The most recent that I have is 2.10.25 withplugins-x86_64.

I’m aware of the flatpaks but I don’t want to have install flatpak just for 1 software and having the flatpak would be a problem with the sandboxing.

I’ve looked at the OBS. They have the current GIMP but only for opensuse & fedora and not for debian (I run debian 11 bullseye).

Ideally, I’d like the appimage with the gmic plugins but if I could find the current gimp as a deb…

Thanks

Yes @aferrero did stop its continuous appimage Release Continuous · aferrero2707/gimp-appimage · GitHub :sob:
Here eventually for an appimage I am looking for Gimp 2.10.30 AppImage • GIMP Chat it might not be what you are really searching for…

Luckily Panda Jim does a PPA >> for the .deb/PPA it’s there >> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/+archive/ubuntu/gimp It’s the latest GIMP 2.10.30 but it’s for Ubuntu (unless you want a Frankendebian…)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gimp

sudo apt update

sudo apt install gimp

On debian backports you can find the latest GIMP as well
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gimp

For ubuntu based distros that can use a PPA

For older releases such as bionic, (xenial to focal) recent updated to Gimp 2.10.30 from Rob Savoury

I replaced the Gimp 2.10.22 appimage in kubuntu 18.04 a couple of days ago with 2.10.30 It does pull in several re-built packages that might affect other applications. So far no problems.

As previous post the Panda Jim PPA will get 2.10.30 in focal and later. I am using that in a kubuntu 20.04

Problem with these is no python 2 support, unless you install the packages yourself. Not difficult, just an annoyance.

My two-euros worth. For most Gimp editing the Gimp 2.10.22 or 25 appimage (with plugins) is more than capable, and if you need the gimp gmic plugin, well…there are up-to-date versions available.

PPA for Ubuntu won’t work on Debian, which is what @foto is running.

That is very true.

There is a ‘make your own appimage’

see: GitHub - ivan-hc/GIMP-64bit-and-32bit.AppImage: GNU Image Manipulation Program, cross-platform image and photo editor, AppImages for x86 and x64 architectures built from the more recent PPA (supports GLIBC 2.27 or later).

There was a similar request over on gimpchat.com a couple of weeks ago. I pulled out some old tools and made a 2.10.30 appimage in a 'buntu 21.10 VM Lots of it hand assembled and it works there. It looks like it also works in Debian ‘bullseye’ While I included the Gimp python packages, not able to get these 100% working in Debian (at least not so far)
In a Debian VM looks like this.

The gmic gimp plugin does work. Debian QT5 installation is required, and a static gimp_gmic_qt compile. This one is the latest 3.1.0

Deleted as now a waste of bandwidth. There is a PPA that will provide Gimp 2.10.30 for 'buntu 20.04 (focal)

My advice is stick with the Gimp 2.10.25 appimage where everything works. The old embedded out-of-date gmic plugin can be updated.

I think you are right, I will stick with 2.10.25 because it already works on my debian 11, and it has the gmic plugin.

Thanks

If you want an updated gmic plugin that works with the older QT5 found in the appimage then I keep some here: gmic_gimp_qt and Ubuntu 18.04 Download, unzip, put in the appimage profile ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/
That should supersede the old out-of-date plugin. If it does not work, well just delete it to go back to the old plugin.

1 Like