"Where to find the latest version of RawTherapee", and other questions

See - I did hint that I was blind!!!

3 Likes

My post is not concerned with how things should be, nor with how the team ought to handle their userbase and release cycle. I am trying to be transparent about the limbo situation we are in - whether you like the situation or not.

2 Likes

Well, that’s told me good and proper has it not.

Would you like me to keep my opinions to myself from now on, after all, as a simple RT user trying to get more people to use RT by making instructional videos, what the heck do I know about anything…?

I thought creating a buzz and desire to try RT amongst my contacts, members, subscribers and followers was what you wanted from me - silly me.

@Andy_Astbury1 I admit I was annoyed by your first post and therefore a little snappy, I hope I can explain. My post was meant as informative, whereas I interpret your post mostly as argumentative. Two very different kinds of messages, each with their own merit (in fact, I agree with most things you say). However, I thought your post detracted from the meaning and intent of my post and I didn’t like that.

With regards to your opinions and your ambassadorial role, I’m not questioning the importance of those. I hope you will keep both active! Lately we just not seem to be communicating the same sort of message…

Finally, while I have a good view of what still needs to be done for the release, I am not in the position to make much headway with the actual releasing process. That task still rests on the shoulders of @Morgan_Hardwood. He has this to say about it.

Maybe we should move some parts of the process to different shoulders (yours and mine). Just a thought… We are a team. If a team members shoulders are not strong enough (as for example my shoulders the last 2 months or so), other shoulders could help…

3 Likes

hi there,
I can understand all the different views and contributions and I think you all are right.
Now I hope that my humble end-user opinion is also welcome.
I think there should be a final point at which no further development is started, but “only” stability is tested. Of course, new features such as spot removal or abstract profiles are ingenious extensions, but they also have to be tested again, translated into all languages ​​and ideally also documented in all languages ​​(RawPedia).
My suggestion: Put a line here and now, adjust some standardizations in the GUI and open the ‘default’ for translation. Andy has already mentioned his opinion on the current stability of the software, and also my experience is that this dev RawTherapee is wonderfully stable.
With this, it should be possible to release the next step 5.9 (due to all the new features, i rather would call it 6.0), within several weeks… i hope :wink:

I would like to help with the translation (to german) and documentation as best I can… I am sorry, its probably too late to become a software develloper in this life …

marter

3 Likes

All opinions are welcome :+1:

For myself, I find the @gaaned92 releases to be so stable and up to date that I find little need for a rush to a 5.9 release.

However, what about all those potential new RT users who would greatly appreciate having Local Adjustments. I’m talking about those that just want to go and download from the main RT page a currently available version that has LA. What about existing users that prefer not to mess with dev releases. I would imagine that many have watched Andy’s recent videos. So, I can understand Andy’s frustration when he has to explain why it’s not possible to go to the RT site and get a feature like LA at this time.

If the goal is to increase the RT user base then I think it is important to do releases in a more timely fashion when a major feature like LA is introduced. I know that it’s important to have stable releases and it’s all being done by great people willing to put the time and effort into it. I think that we have that now!

Hopefully it will all come together sooner rather than later.

Mike

3 Likes

This message is just to let all of you know that the automated Win64 builds are back in production, and I am myself hopefully back into the business of maintaining them!

Thanks to @Morgan_Hardwood who tried hard to fix my ugly bash scripts. He actually almost got them working again (and he successfully managed to restore the AppImage builds by the way), and now with a final fix the automated builds are available again.

Cheers, Andrea

12 Likes

@Carmelo_DrRaw Welcome back! :slight_smile:

@Carmelo_DrRaw, I’m glad to see you again!

@Thanatomanic,

what can I do to help?

Now if someone could make a video of this it would be brilliant. I think it would be a lot easier to understand and follow in a video screen capture than in any written article.

Am I doing something wrong, or has the Dev branch not been updated in 2 weeks? The version I have now is

Version: 5.8-3009-gd7f9e1f51
Branch: dev
Commit: d7f9e1f51
Commit date: 2021-07-05

When I try a ‘git pull’ it says it is up to date. This seems to jive with what it says here Branches · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub, so I think I am doing everything right. Can anyone confirm?

I haven’t seen anything come by in the last 2 weeks or so and I pull daily. It seems indeed somewhat quit. Then again: It is summer and people might have vacation and family stuff and all that.

Version: 5.8-3051-g71e8eeaf8
Branch: dev
Commit: 71e8eeaf8
Commit date: 2021-07-06

I’m on 5.8-3051-g71e8eeaf8. That seems to be higher then yours but I have
heckflosse’s poor mans dehaze merged and that accounts for the difference for as far as I can tell.

@devs enjoy. Well deserved!

@chaimav yes, the CI process is not very stable and has halted again on GitHub. :frowning: it is known…

What is the “CI process”?

Continuous integration - also sometimes called by people the “build bot”.

CI does automated builds - such as nightlies, or sometimes, a build for every single commit or pull request. I think RT’s CI system is configured to do nightlies IF there are new commits, btu am not sure.

1 Like