Where to save DCP profiles so ART will automatically apply them?

ART 1.16.3, Windows 11

I’ve seen other posts about this same question but no definitive answer, that I found at least. As always please educate me if I’m being dense…

I’ve collected my camera’s Adobe DCP profiles from the collection that’s bundled with DNG Convertor. Per what I’ve read in RawPedia (IIRC?) and elsewhere, I put them into C:\Program Files\ART\dcpprofiles and also (on a whim) into %APPDATA%\Local\ART\dcpprofiles, but they weren’t applied automatically.

In fact the “auto-matched camera profile” radio button is greyed out, presumably indicating ART isn’t recognizing / finding them at all. I can manually load them without issue from any location, so the profiles themselves are good. But I’d like them to auto-apply when an image is loaded.

Where should they live? I’d prefer a user profile location but whatever works, works.

The naming format is like Canon EOS 850D Adobe Standard.dcp. Is there some other format they need to follow?

And while I’m at it, I guess I should ask the same basic question about the LCP profiles as well… While lensfun supports my lens for geometric distortion, there’s nothing for CA and vignetting.* Maybe the Adobe profiles support that?

[ LATER EDIT ] - I just remembered I ran into an issue with darktable not recognizing my denoise profile due to a mismatch between Canon’s varied regional naming practices: 850D vs. T8i vs. KISS, etc. That might (??) be part of the issue possibly, but the path questions remain.

* Yes, I’ve actually shot vignetting frames for submission to lensfun, but not CA frames…

Thanks.

It looks like in the DCP profiles folder in the ART install directory…seems to be one for icc and one for dcp…not sure about the lens files…

Yeah, I put them in there but they weren’t recognized. However, after renaming the files from (e.g.) Canon EOS 850D Adobe Standard.dcp to Canon EOS Rebel T8i.dcp (to match the EXIF camera name as read by ART) the “auto-matched camera profile” button is active and they appear to load correctly when it’s selected. Same thing holds true for my old 350D / Rebel XT.

Why, oh why, Canon do you do that multiple-names-for-the-same-item thing? :slight_smile:

So I just need to load / configure everything and then save it as my default processing profile so it’ll happen automatically.

But I’d still rather have the profiles under my user home rather than in the installation tree, if that’s possiblem so upgrades won’t wipe it out. I’m not sure what that folder should be, though.

As to the Adobe lens profiles…
Actually I’m not quite sure which one to use. For example, I have a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro zoom. When I look in the Adobe profiles there’s C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Sigma …and then under there:

Canon
Nikon
Olympus
Pentax
Sigma
Sony

Under ...\1.0\Sigma\Sigma, there’s SIGMA (Sigma_17-70mm_F2.8-4.5_DC_MACRO_HSM ) - RAW.lcp, which might be the correct profile. But under ...\1.0\Sigma\Canon there’s Canon (Sigma_17-70mm_F2.8-4.5_DC_MACRO_HSM ) - RAW.lcp which maybe could be it, too. Hmmm… not sure of the difference offhand. Maybe the lens mount?

I tried some of the profile-ish directory entries in the options file, but to no avail. None of them were explicitly labeled as for DCP profiles, anyway.

Can you not just have the DCP wherever you want, load it manually - like you already wrote in your initial post - and then save your default processing profile?

Indeed. You can set up a dynamic profile rule to load a different dcp according to the camera model

Ok. That was my concern: hard-wiring the default processing profile to a single camera profile. I’ll need to read up on dynamic profiles. That’s actually even better than using a profile under my user home. I can use a common location agnostic to the software package.

Thanks.

In short:

grafik

Simpler than I expected. :slight_smile: But I’m apparently doing something wrong.

I have a Canon T8i / 850D and two lenses: a Canon 70-300 and a Sigma 17-70. Since the Adobe profiles are better than lensfun, I created two custom processing profiles - One with each Adobe lens profile loaded for images shot with that lens. All other settings are (for now) common between the two.

When I load an image shot with each lens, the correct camera DCP profile is selected (Color panel | Color Management | Custom) but not the lens profile (Transform panel | Lens | LCP file). When I manually load the custom processing profile, it selects both correctly. So the processing profiles are good.

ART recognizes the Canon lens but not the Sigma:

ART EXIF labels 70-300

ART EXIF labels 17-70

And per RawPedia, the camera name should be in the format of the info panel:

17-70 info

70-300 info

So I when I created my two dynamic rules, I specified the Canon lens name and the Sigma lens focal range:

ART dynamic rules

The camera and lens values were copied and pasted from the metadata panel, so they should be correct. To me it appears that should load the appropriate custom processing profile, right?

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

I have a very similar thing going on with Nikon and Sigma 17-50.

grafik

grafik

I tried your way and it works for me.

grafik

Does none of both profiles work? In the focal lenght profile, be sure to untick lens.

grafik

You have set dynamic in image processing? Would you mind to share raws so that we can look into it?

Edit:
I just found out that it’s advisable for testing the dynamic profiles to clear the processing operations in ART, close ART, and delete the ARP file of the raws. For some reason, after clearing the profile in the ART-browser and directly opening the raw in editor, it does not load the correct profile.

@agriggio

This looks unexpected. First time seen, since it seems to happen only with dynamic profiles.

I know there is an alias file in the dcp folder to manage camera names…not sure if there is something similar for len issues and or if ART is reading from those when it uses the dynamic profiles… no idea

Yes, set to dynamic and there are no errant checks on unused fields. Here are the rules:

17-70 rule

70-300 rule

Do I need to set the Sigma lens type to “unknown” and check it? Haven’t tested that yet.

I’ve also deleted *.arp and restarted ART between tests.

Here are two raws, one with each lens.

IMG_2543.CR3 (27.5 MB)
IMG_4611.CR3 (33.1 MB)

Thanks.

Here’s something else, maybe or maybe not related. If I expand the Filter pane of the file browser, enable metadata filtering and select by lens, ART does and doesn’t recognize the Sigma lens. The entries in the Lens list apparently come from EXIF (or the lack thereof), because I’ve never entered that information. So it identifies the lens in some images taken with the Sigma, but not in others. All these images were taken with the same camera, same lens, all raw.

Hmmm… may not be the issue here, but probably adds to the confusion! :slight_smile:

This is the same issue as the one we already know.

grafik

I took your files, got the LCP and DCP stuff from Adobe and set up the profiles the way we both already did. There is indeed an issue…

It kind of applies the DCP on loading, but it doesn’t show it in the module.

grafik

And if you make any edit to the photo, the DCP-processing vanishes.

The DCP was saved on my desktop C:\Users\username\Desktop\850D.dcp.

But it seems to work when I put in on C: root folder C:\850D.dcp. ART probably has a problem with too long folder structure at this point.

Looks correct to me. “Clear” means “apply neutral” when you have dynamic profiles. What you want is “Reset to default”.

Please share such images, otherwise it’s hard to understand what is going on…

I think you need to get used to the logic of how profiles rules are applied. Specifically, the rules are applied top to bottom, so later ones can override the earlier ones. That means that highest priority rules should go last in the list.

So, simply try moving the new rules to the bottom. Furthermore, the one for the EF70-300 should go after the other one, otherwise for shots taken at 70mm they will both match, and the profile for the sigma will be applied.

HTH

Not really. What I want is to clear every processing information to the point like if the photo has never been opened before. This is how I understand clear and how it works for me without dynamic stuff and my single default processing profile. But if there is an other logic when using dynamic profiles, which I have never done yet, that’s fine and nothing that really affects me.

But however, I bet the DCP-path-issue I describet in #14 is not intended.

Yes, but if the photo is currently opened in the editor, what should it do? It has to do something, so it resets to neutral… What you describe works if the photo is not the one currently open in an editor window.

I’ll see if I can reproduce, thanks!

Ok, I didn’t consider that the editor is still kind of running in the background when switching back to the browser. In my mind, leaving the editor was like closing it.

I still would expect the same stuff to happen like if you just have a single custom default profile. I don’t really get why there should be a difference in the behaviors when reentering the photo, whether there is a single profile applied to all photos, or there is a dynamic profile that matches the conditions to be assigned to the photo. But I know that’s my subjective expectation without any claim to be reasonable.

Aha! It works now, thanks! My rules were initially at the bottom but I moved them to the top as an experiment. I didn’t know if rule processing continued after a match was made, hence my (failed) attempt to prioritize them. I realize this is RT-territory (not ART) but do you know if that’s documented in RawPedia? I don’t recall reading about the order, but that’s no guarantee by any means…

I’ll start another thread since it’s another potential issue, particularly since I’ve just seen the behavior change when I copied the same files to another folder …weird. I’ll document what I’m seeing in a new topic.

Thanks.

That topic is Lens name not always recognized.

Thanks.