Which Canon to pick?

Reading about the new 80d whet my appetite and got me thinking about upgrading my still-very-useful 60d. But then I looked a little further and I must admit I like the idea of a 7d Mark2. Or I could leave the world of aps-c for full-frame and buy a 6d, which costs marginally less than the 7d Mark 2.

The problem with going full frame though is that I’d have to replace all my existing lenses for full frame ones, which costs mega $$$. So it kind of cancels itself out. Which leaves the 80d and 7d Mark 2.

Which would you go for and why? I’d be interested in your thoughts. Still have to save my pennies…

Cheers.

If you adapt manual lenses, the 7D2 has a bigger viewfinder and available Eh-S focusing screen.

The 80D has much much better image quality at base ISO, weighs less, and has a swivel screen.

It doesn’t seem to be urgent for you to buy a new camera. Therefore, I would tend to wait until canon releases its next one to three system cameras. An August release of the 5d3 successor is likely, and there will likely be at least one new mirrorless camera before Photokina in Autumn. The 6d replacement will likely be released early 2017. All of these will either be an option for you or at least reduce prices for used equipment or lead to clearance sales.

I am not trying to make your life more complicated, but… I have been a Canon man. Then I switched to Fuji X-T1, a switch that I do not regret at all.

I’d personally go for the 6d, maybe wait until the new one is out. You can still use your crop lenses (well at least on nikon & sony) and get comparable quality images at a bit lower resolution (which generally won’t matter because most aps-c lenses aren’t that sharp to begin with). Get full frame lenses as you go along. Even a ‘nifty fifty’ on a fullframe does quite well.

This is DXO mark so it’s to be taken with a pinch of salt (or more) but, this is a cheap lens on a full frame body:

To get in the same ballbark on aps-c you need really expensive glass, and even then:

Or to go with a 50mm on aps-c:

But it depends on what you do of course. If you are into sports or wildlife and are going to want fast framerates and actually benefit from the crop factor you should clearly go aps-c.

I can only second Jonas’ reply, apart from the fact, that you normally cannot use your EF-S on EF due to the smaller image circle. But I guess, you already have EF lenses in your gear, at least the nifty fifty is ubiquitous. So you won’t have to spend mega $$$ (but maybe kilo $$$ for a 24-70 2.8).

Another big plus for the 6D is Magic Lantern support. Cannot do without anymore.

[quote=“floessie, post:6, topic:1683”]
apart from the fact, that you normally cannot use your EF-S on EF due to the smaller image circle
[/quote]Can’t one just crop (like DX mode on a FX nikon)?

They don’t fit. EF-S lenses stick into the mount more, and even if it’s not needed for the optics they have a rubber bumper that prevents them from mounting in full frame cameras.

True! Magic Lantern is one thing that I sometimes long for:-(

True! Magic Lantern is one thing that I sometimes long for:-(

I used it for a while on my 60D and found it not particularly useful, and it made the camera start up a half second slower which was extremely irksome.

I had it on my 7D and i agree that the startup time is slow. to the point that it was really annoying. Besides i never found anything usefull to do with it.

Auto ETTR and dualiso are neat.

I use it on my canon 350D, and love the bracketing feature and being able to shoot repeated shots on a timer.

I heard someone recently describe the Canon 6D as an entry-level FF. Sort of like the T3 for full-frame.

It’d be a bummer to leave your enthusiast DSLR and go to an entry-level, even if it is a full-frame. And of course there’s the FF lenses issue. If you can’t identify a good reason why you need a full-frame, I’d stick with APS-C.

Entry level is just a name.

The 6D is far closer to the 5D3 than the T3 is to the 7D.

Do you mind explaining what you mean a little? Can you name some ways that the 6D is closer? Sorry, I don’t want to be argumentative, just wondering if you have any ideas.

just wondering if you have any ideas.

The 7D2 has slightly better build than the 5D3, but we’ll say they’re about the same.

Now for differences between the T_ and 6D:

The 6D has:

• A better sensor than its high-end equivalent, versus much worse in the case of the T3/T5/T6
  • Dual dials
  • Metal frame
  • Top LCD
  • Top shoulder buttons for direct control
  • User-customizable modes
  • Customizable buttons
  • Soft-touch shutter release (no click from full-press)
  • Bigger grip
  • Bigger battery (shared with the other mid to high end cameras)
  • Pentaprism vs pentamirror viewfinder
  • Interchangeable focus screens
  • Depth of field preview button
  • Quiet modes (which are very very quiet indeed)
  • 720x480 screen versus 640x480 matches the sensor aspect ratio
  • Gasketed buttons

There may be more that I’m missing.

As for missing things that were held back for both:

• Slower continuous shooting
  • Worse autofocus
  • No joystick and no left-side column of buttons
  • No dual memory cards.

That’s it.

Ok, I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying.

Just one thing, are you saying the 6D has a better sensor than the 5D III?

It does.

It has slightly less noise overall, and more importantly has no pattern noise in the shadows at low ISO.

That’s interesting, I would never have guessed! I guess that’s one of my new things to learn today!