Which colorimiter to buy?

hi, it’s about time I profiled my monitor, so I need a colorimiter, so I thought I’d ask for any tips and suggestions before I buy the wrong one…

The environment it will be used in is this -
Ubuntu 20.04
Desktop PC, no video card (I use the processor built-in graphics)
Displaycal (because this seems to be the standard)
Dell UP2516D monitor.

This is an IPS 25inch 2560x1440 screen. As well as standard colour spaces, it has two calibration modes and Dell provide a Windows app to load data into the monitor. However I’m guessing there will not be an equivalent FOSS function.

Any advice on colorimter model to work with the above is appreciated. My default would be to go for a middle-of-the-road priced item.

Also I have a specific question. I don’t like a very bright monitor, and have the brightness set at 18 out of 100. Is it ok to profile at that setting? (I know you have to use the monitor in the same state as it was profiled in)

Thanks, Andrew

You need to set the brightness of the screen with the help of a calibration device. I recommend you set brightness to 120 cd. Brightness is not a matter of taste or personal preference, the recommended brightness in a room where there is no direct sunlight is 100-120 cd.

I think you need hardware calibration for your screen, it’s wide gamut, you should use the Dell software.
I suggest you stick to Windows for calibrating your screen and use a dual boot setup.

Edit: as far as the device model is concerned, it depends on how accurate your screen needs to be and how much time you have. The Datacolor Spyders are slower that the x-rite devices. The x-rite i1display pro is not so cheap but many calibration experts and “pros” (what ever that is) perfer it. I have a Spyder 5 and it’s enough for me, at least it’s better than nothing.

Maybe one more thing: you can use Displaycal after hardware calibration for profiling the screen.

It’s an old Spyder2 Express colorimeter I use in Ubuntu based distros, calibrating the screen using Displaycal.

I wonder what it means that the op does not react.

I like the Xrite hardware as it seems long lasting, is widely compatible and works with things like projectors if you need that. My old ColorMunki had the rubberized texture that turned to goo after a few years but that’s been my worst complaint about them.

I also have a Dell Premiere Color display on my Precision laptop but no Windows to load a profile. It does alright with argyllcms and the Xrite, I’m happy with my prints out of the Canon wide format at any rate. But @betazoid is correct in that best results will be achieved with the proprietary solutions on the latest hardware. I’m just more OK with color maybe being a little off than gross proprietary software that’s plugged into the botnet. AFAIK to Linux display protocol supports the HDR or 12-bit displays yet either so don’t even bother with that.

You’re calibration workflow will depend on your targets to some degree. The reason I say to check is some older printers don’t support 16 bit images, gamuts much wider than sRGB, etc.

There was a DP review thread and someone brought up that the old Spyders (5 and older) had a gelatin lens?? Supposedly updated in the X models but they don’t say exactly how and apparently they degrade due to moisture if still using gelatin…I don’t think it was resolved even though a datacolor rep responded in the thread he would just keep replying that it was updated…X-rite states their lens is glass…so I can’t attest to the truth of this but from what was contributed only X-rite provided clear technical specifications for that component…if you buy X-rite make sure you buy at least the pro as it will work if you have hardware calibration in your monitor…I don’t think the Display Studio basic one will…again I’m no expert…but tidbits to check out…

This site is one of the best I have found for videos and information around this subject… https://www.youtube.com/c/ArtIsRight/videos

@betazoid , thanks for the comments. I will try using the screen around the brightness you suggest. I’m less keen to use the Dell sware - the thought of trying to install windows on my two-disk system already with 3 ubuntu system partitions fills me with dread!

Good grief! it’s only been a day or two. Just giving people time to respond. Chill!

@Brian_Innes , thanks. As it happens I have an old Spyder, however I read once the filters deteriorate over time, as @priort alludes to.

@lhutton , I have some binoculars with rubberized coating that have gone to goo, pah.

Did you mean doesn’t support?

Thanks to all.

You could just install windows on a stick that might let you calibrate it….if you have hardware support it might save a lut right to the monitor itself which would be nice….

Yes, typo on my part. Does not support.