Which Input Profile to choose?

Well one thing you could do is convert one of your files to DNG and then you have a source file for the defacto Adobe DCP file… you could try downloading it as well from adobe and see if they are the same… Picking one of these you could compare it to the one used in RT to see how it might differ…

Then you can also since you have a color checker use the adobe profile editor to tweak that to your hearts desire …

Here Robin tweaks the color using a photo but you could use a colorchecker…there is even a colorchecker tab for xrite cards as well…

But simply tweaking a std daylight shot of your color card might give you a profile that suits you better…

1 Like

Hi Todd,
I had seen this repository owner’s contribution to a fork of dcamprof but I was not aware of this other tool.
I’m not sure I understand what you hacked your way into. What’s the input, what’s the output?

The README says:

ColorMatch
==========
ColorMatch allows you to create an ICC standard color profile
based on the color transform your camera firmware uses to
create JPG files. This profile can then be applied to your
RAW files using RAW editing software.
Keep in mind that ColorMatch should be considered as highly
experimental and requires meticulous application of the
procedures below in order to be successful.
WARNING: Keep in mind that ColorMatch comes with no warranty
whatsoever, use at your own peril.

→ is this trying to mimic what we have in RT, in the Exposure module, where we have the ability to auto-match the tone curve to the look of the embedded JPG thumbnail?
Or are you doing something else?

Its taking your jpg and creating an icc to produce or attempt to produce a match.

It obviously works best with a shot from a camera with more patches and it is set up to do so. I have a Spyder checker with only 24 patches but so I had to edit the code to accommodate that. It still does a pretty nice job… what colorchecker do you have again??

same here.
I also have a faulty colorchecker passport that lacks the 24-patch chart, so I only have the greys and the more subtle tones. Wonder how I could franken that into something usable at the same time by dcamprof but that’s a different subject.

if you want to post a raw shot of that I can run it though the colormatch and you can see if the result is of any use… you can tweak the script further… I forget what the default settings that is uses with colprof but you can simply edit those in the script to make a targeted change as well…It the jpg preview in you raw is pretty big I can just extract it but if not the jpg would be needed too…

faulty indeed. I didn’t know they made one like that. If you had a spectrophotometer you could measure each patch and make a reference file, but you’d be missing good red, green, and blue patches to anchor the colorimetric response.

here : Which Input Profile to choose? - #31 by nonophuran
or, in the shade, as mentioned in the screen capture above:
D75_5437.NEF (26.7 MB)
It’s probably imperfectly shot. Limitations I anticipate:

• some glare,
  • some cast though I don’t know of what tint (green foliage slightly behind me? honestly, I don’t know, but my balcony is not a perfectly neutral environment, i.e. not contaminated with reflections of sorts)

@ggbutcher, yeah, unlucky me, esp. since I got this passport sealed and second hand (think: old new stock) and the support (at Calibrite’s) has not accepted yet to proceed to anything other than saying “yes, it looks like a manufacturing problem”.

Ya it did come in green…have you been messing with your camera…funny I use legacy WB and your as shot is coming in at 1 for all color channels (UNIWB ???)…just doing an average image spot wb gives what I might expect for the image and of course I could use one of the patches for even better wb…

Usually I do the image pairs using as shot rather than applying a wb… and then just let the blended icc do the match…

I guess I can do a spot wb here on both and then try…

That sucks… “old/new stock” could straddle the X-Rite/Calibrite divide and they’ll end up playing warranty badminton with it…