Which printer do YOU use?

Which printers are best for photography? I had a Canon Pixma 5350 until it went defunct with the dreaded U052 fault :scream: so I replaced it with an Epson Expression Premium 6000 but that can’t do labels because it ‘sees’ them as a CD/DVD :roll_eyes: So now I’m looking for a good photo printer that can also print CD/DVDs and labels and business cards. HP are out because they don’t do CD/DVDs any more :astonished: So what do YOU use/recommend? :thinking:

Epson Stylus Photo P50, I just wanted a small printer without any other features.

I have an Epson SureColor P600.

Hi @baz2126!

Best one? In general, a printer which has more than four ink colours. Just how many depends on the size of your wallet. I have an Epson XP-960, which I am happy with. It was quite easy to colour manage it into my setup.

I do not understand what you mean with can’t do labels because it ‘sees’ them as a CD/DVD. Do you mean that your printer grabs the medium from wrong compartment, or what?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Hi Claes, Thanks for that. Yes, having loaded labels into the printer it then complains because the ‘CD/DVD tray is not properly loaded’ and the media type is defaulting to CD/DVD. I’ve found a work-around by starting a new document (in MS Word) and then selecting mailing - labels. This again defaults to CD/DVD but it can now be reset to A4 sheets. If I try to load an existing document of labels I cannot reset the CD/DVD media type. Normal documents are fine.

The photo prints are great!

Barry

Morning, @baz2126,

I checked the specs of your model, and it seems that it is quite similar to my machine. An odd idea: when you have loaded a tray with your mailing labels, you are supposed to tell the machine what things you have put in, right? Can you select something like, say, photo sticker? What if you try the other tray?

On the other hand – why not just tell the machine the size of the (mailing label) sheet (as if it had been a normal sheet of paper) and let MS word take care of positioning?

Good luck!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Hi Claes, Your last comment is the nearest except that that is exactly what I do do. The label sheets are A4 (Avery 7161) and the software is Word and until I got the Epson printer everything was OK, and, providing I start a new document and change the media type from CD/DVD to A4 it prints OK. But by default the Epson will set the media type to CD/DVD as soon as you select mailing-labels.

Very odd. It must be something in the printer properties that does it because it didn’t happen with the Canon. Have you tried labels in yours? I was printing my Christmas card list which is 3 pages of labels long. I finally did it by splitting the file into 3 pages. the first two printed once I had changed the media type but the third page wouldn’t print at all. That’s when I tried starting afresh with a new document and then just copied the individual addresses across to the new document. Then it printed.

Barry

PS: Epson customer support say that “In the current consumer inkjet range we do not offer any printers that support label and card printing.”

Just a quickie: exactly where do you change media type?

Also: are you on Win 7 or 10 or…?

/Claes

Hi,

Word ~ Page Setup ~ Paper (once you’ve setup the labels page)

I’m using Windows 10 (1709)

Barry

Screenshot:

Just drag and drop the screenshot on the editor window while you’re editing or writing a post

That’s way too easy - can I have a harder solution! :blush:

Can you change the paper source in the printer window?

Hi Mica,

Yes, but that didn’t work. I had to do from within Word.

Barry

Morning!

Are you using Avery’s Word template (which?) or Microsoft’s built-in?

/Claes

Hi @baz2126,

I have just tested with Win 10, MS Word and Msoft’s built-in Envelopes and Labels template and printed a sheet (on an Epson XP-960). The sheets were placed in Tray 2 and registered as Plain paper, A4 in the printer.

It worked fine.

Note the Options button: it defaults to “Default Tray (Auto)”.
Since I had put my sheets in Tray 2, I explicitly selected Tray 2 (duh!) here.

Good luck,
Claes in Lund, Sweden