Which style applied to a photo & style update processing

I’m quite new to Darktable. I created a custom style in Darktable, which I use as a base for my photos. However, after applying the style, it seems that this set of changes is just added to the history as if they were made manually to this particular photo (no indication that this was part of a style).

• Is there a way to still see afterward which style has been applied to a photo?
  • As I learn more about Darktable, I might have future ideas to further improve my base style. If later on, I would like to make small changes to a style that I already applied to a few photos, is there a way to easily reprocess all photos that in their history stack have previously used the (now) updated style?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Bart, welcome to pixls.

In the styles module there is a pull down option that lets you determine what is done when you apply a style: overwrite or append. The first will remove all that is there and replace it with what is in the style that is applied and the latter will add to what is already there.

No, not out-of-the-box (that I know of).

You can (re)name modules instances, though. So you could name one instance, or all of them, with the name of your style before creating that style.

Maybe, it depends.

You can always re-apply a style, but that will overwrite what has been done already. Not a problem if all that you have done previously is just apply a style. This will be a problem if you did other edits to those files after applying the style (be it adding another module/instance or tweak the instances applied by the style), those will be erased.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, the suggestion to rename module instances is very interesting!

You can always re-apply a style, but that will overwrite what has been done already. Not a problem if all that you have done previously is just apply a style. This will be a problem if you did other edits to those files after applying the style (be it adding another module/instance or tweak the instances applied by the style), those will be erased.

In the case where I just want to reapply the style, would there be any easy way to filter all photos that I had the style applied to previously? Could I for example, filter to only see all photos that have the (re)named module instance applied, to which I can then select-all and apply the updated style?

To my knowledge you cannot do this.

It is possible to filter/show collections that have a certain module applied, but it does not make the distinction between named and unnamed versions of a specific module.

I am trying the, admittedly tedious, task of manually adding applied style(s) as metadata to the respective images. This allows me to search with a style name.

However, this is an excellent use-case to have out-of-the-box i.e. save style name in the XMP file perhaps?

Applied styles are added as tags; you can filter in the collections module of the lighttable.

Edit: unfortunately, those ‘virtual’ darktable tags are not saved in the XMP.

If you need this functionality (I don’t), please open a feature request on the following link:

Oh cool. I should give that a go.

Thank you.

@kofa have created a new feature request here: Store applied style name(s) in XMP file · Issue #13608 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Cheers.

The applied-style information is kept around after any tool-setting has been changed. So the information can only ever be a hint of “that picture had a style applied once, but who knows what happened afterwards.”

Mind: that style-info stays around even after you reset the history.

So unless you have a very very strict and fully automated workflow that never sways away from one or more styles, then keeping this information around does more harm than good.

There is a very good reason, that the darktable-tags are not saved in the xmp and make it across multiple imports on one or more installed instances of darktable.

2 Likes