White balance in a blue hour skyline shot from Cologne, Germany

ART

2 Likes

That looks amazing, thank you!

Oh but the highlights look so much better like that, well done! I believe I’ll finally have to give Darktable a spin after all, even though I do like RT for the most part.

this isn’t much help now but maybe it’s worth taking a custom white balance reading when making shots like this

1 Like

my version

DSC_3473.jpg.out.pp3 (14.4 KB)

and with slightly lower exposure

DSC_3473-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.5 KB)

3 Likes

Oh no, that’s great help, thank you. It was my very first long exposure session, so it would be quite surprising if I couldn’t profit from the knowledge, tips and tricks of more experienced photographers. I’ll definitely try to keep it in mind for my next session!

1 Like

Thank you, those edits look amazing!

1 Like

Really a nice shot! Thanks for sharing!
RT5.9 exiv2 pre-dev using Fuji X-Trans II Provia LUT

DSC_3473_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (15.1 KB)

Tried again and used Local Adjustments to remove the gray from the Rhine

DSC_3473_RT-2.jpg.out.pp3 (18.5 KB)

4 Likes

Another version a little more…

DSC_3473_02.NEF.xmp (18.2 KB)

4 Likes

wow, what a very nice picture to play with. here my try in RT 5.9dev:

DSC_3473.NEF.jpg.out.pp3 (14,3 KB)

2 Likes

My fun in GIMP. Without cranes

1 Like

Inspired by you all, I’ve sat back down and did some more tweaking with RT. I also added some local area effects, in order to retain color and detail that would otherwise be lost to the WB adjustments.

On my monitors at least, this version looks pretty much like what I had in mind. Now the only question is, how is it going to look in print? So, barring any sudden inspirations, I think I’ll leave it alone for now and just do some test prints with slightly different exposure/brightness adjustments, to see what looks best on paper.

DSC_3473 17.06. 13.13 Chroma0 Dyna0 Hell0 Exp1.90 Dehaze10 WB5000 Lokal_v2.jpg.out.pp3 (25.6 KB)

8 Likes

Great work!

1 Like

Looks grrrreat.

1 Like

My attempt with RT

1 Like

Hello,
Very nice photo at the end of the day. I had a lot of fun editing it.
I left the white balance on the camera and used the Rec2020 Linear RGB input profile to start editing.
Here’s my verion,

DSC_3473.NEF.xmp (19.0 KB)
Darktable master 4.5

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

3 Likes

This looked to me like a perfect image to use Filmulator on, although I am a novice with it. I went for an “end of the blue hour” look.

4 Likes

I like your edit, but like quite a few other edits I see here, and like my JPG out of cam, it looks quite dark and also reddish, probably too dark for print. (My goal is to have this printed in large format as a gift.)

For comparison, I’m including the JPG out of cam, and a scan of the print.

Here’s the JPG out of cam:

And here’s a scan of that print:

Edit: nevermind, I had it wrong, I had the JPG out of cam printed, not an edit.

Low contrast edit. Usually that works better for prints. Just ran the in development Temperature correlation wb tool which made a small tweak to the in camera wb. Then lowered exposure significantly before lifting again with Abstract profile and log tonemapping (local edit)

Edit: re upload with vignetting fix and put a bit of contrast back. Also flicked the temp back and forth to switch wb to “custom” might be more usable for those not running the wb dev build.

DSC_3473.jpg.out.pp3 (15.6 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment, I usually under-expose the night scenes to highlight the light in the lit areas.
Here’s a second version
I cooled the scene with one of my presets from the colorize module.
I added 1IL of exposure and adapted the tone equalizer.
I haven’t compressed the history, so you can see my changes.

DSC_3473_01.NEF.xmp (24.5 KB)

And here’s a cropped version in panoramic format

DSC_3473_02.NEF.xmp (24.9 KB)

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

1 Like