White balance problem when copying settings from one image to another in a series of pictures.

I am processing a series of underwater images. I start the process by doing a auto white balance based on an area of the image. I then do other various other steps. So when I have taken multiple shots of the same subject under the same conditions I try doing Ctrl+C to copy the settings and then move on to the next image and use Ctrl+V to paste the settings. My problem is that the white balance setting doesn’t come across. Am I doing something wrong or is this an expected behaviour? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Use shift ctrl c…by default wb is not selected…

Edit you can also use the color matching in CC for this…

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I will give this a try with the next series.

That worked for me. Thanks

Great glad you got it sorted…

You can copy the WB as you have now discovered or you can try to color match similar things for a consistent look…

Bruce did a recent video and AP has one…

1 Like

Thanks Todd for the links. I will look at these because I had requested a feature like this to be able to color balance images based upon skin tones. Sadly that caused an unexpected debate based upon the variety of skin tones to be found throughout the world. So then I changed my request to be able to match color between images (which obviously could include skin tones). Happily AP weaved his magic and created this new improvement to the color calibration tool. Sometimes the only area for color balance is skin tone as grey cards are not present in many real world images.

He supplies a paper…so you can sample a color and then do a correct or simply enter one and then correct… The "universal’ skin tone is a value in Hue-Chroma… going from memory something like 42.6/24.7 and then luma to taste… the values varied a small amount based on the race of the subject and race of the observer… there is a table… I experimented a little… I thought the tones were a bit warm for my liking at those numbers but others may have checked it out and can comment… I think the paper is given in his video and i downloaded it if you can’t find it…just heading off to bed so no poking around looking for the moment… I guess you can load a swatch and go from that too by using the sampling…

I will look into the paper. My background was a film photographer and photographic printer from the 1970’s until I switched to digital. With my hand enlargers we had color analysers that were set for skin tone. Surprising little color difference between the various races of people throughout the world. Luminosity could vary greatly between the fairest and darkest skins so exposure was often best set not from skin tones. Strangely Adobe has a skin tone picker in Photoshop Elements that works very nicely most of the time. But I have never seen this tool in Lightroom or Photoshop.

1 Like

Okay Now I am off to bed…

Skin tones paper Aurelien.pdf (2.1 MB)