Why does GIMP 2.10 insist on using GIMP 2.8 folder for install?

I even tried to rename the directory (temporarily) but the installer finds the older GIMP anyway. Wish the developers understand I want to keep both 2.8.22 and 2.10x installed. samj’s on a much needed vaca so she won’t be compiling the new version anytime soon I’m afraid (no 2.10.2). Had to un-install 2.10.2 and re-install 2.8.22 again (yes; backed the user folder up again; lol). Regardless, just needed to spiel. :slight_smile:

Bonjour,

I quickly assembled a portable version. The link in French :
https://samjcreations.blogspot.ca/2018/05/gimp-2102-portable-64-bits-windows.html

If there are problems it is possible to create a bug report…

:o)

Thanks, samj. Got off work early this evening to see that you replied and even compiled the new update. Not really a good way to spend your vacation, but I do, and I’m sure many others as well, appreciate this. About to download it now. :slight_smile:

Well, the 32 folder now shows up in this build, and, when I place PSPI.exe in the old plugins folder, it shows up as well, but when I click on it to set up the plugin folder, I get the following error:

pspi_error

OK; Nidhogg; at GIMPChat, pointed me to a solution that allowed me to keep 2.8.22 along with 2.10. Now the weird stuff. All of my old GIMP plugins just magically showed up (not complaining) probably cached when I first tried to install GIMP 2.10. PSPI and Mathmap both now work (so very happy I am). Anyway, many plugins give me errors when I start GIMP 2.10 including Bevel Refect Logo. It actually shows up, but, when I try to run the plugin, it errors. The startup error that I get is thus; any work arounds?

brl_error

Also, below’s a list of all the plugins that no longer work. Some will show up but give errors when I try to run them. Including screenshot of all the plugins that no longer work in GIMP 2.10 that I had. Have to admit I really don’t give a rat’s tail for most of them, but I would like to keep ACE (yes; G’MIC can do the job, but still, I like ACE and use it more often then I would like to admit), Resynth (old version of Resynthesizer; kept it around since it handled certain things better than the new Resynthesizer), Bevel Refect Logo, and Focus Blur. Wavelet Sharpen works in samj’s portable but not in GIMP 2.10 (see above error; pretty much same 2 dlls). Now when you run Wavelet Sharpen in samj’s version, and error console launches, but the plugin still works. Again the 2 problematic dlls for all the now defective plugins appears to be only libexiv2.dll and libgraphite2.dll.

Anyone here can suggest a work a round, I would be grateful. :slight_smile:

gimp210_nuworkplugs

@lylejk I would imagine, though I am no authority, that all those plugins probably have had a gimp api change underneath and at least require a recompile against 2.10 to work properly, if not some patching.

Possibly so, Mica, but I don’t understand, for instance, why in samj’s portable, I don’t get any errors on startup; just the error console when I launch, say, the Wavelet Sharpen plugin, but, in the installed version of GIMP, I get the startup errors and the plugin doesn’t even show up. I do have to add that with BRL plugin, it gives the startup error but still shows up; just won’t run when you try to run the filter (the GUI launches, but then it errors). :slight_smile:

For Windows users:

You can install Gimp 2.10.x without disturbing your existing Gimp 2.8.x provided

1. You remove the Gimp 2.8 uninstall information
  2. Install Gimp 2.10 to some other place than C:\Program Files\GIMP 2

5 minute video https://youtu.be/dRsk29KPez4

This is almost the reverse of an earlier version showing re-installing Gimp 2.8 after Gimp 2.10 has removed it.

5 minute video https://youtu.be/L9oP_MjGYVA

Do not have this problem in Linux, the 2.10.2 flatpak (50 MB) updated ok although it also downloaded the org.gnome.Platform runtime (200 MB - so much for bandwidth)

Bonjour,

This morning I compiled some plugins in a Gimp 2.10 environment (in French) :

Thanks, samj; bootchk Resynthesizer from my old files still work, but still, I’ll be replacing them with your build. Glad to see you compiled Twist as well. Too bad you cannot compile Bevel Reflect Logo; not even sure where the sourcecode is for this plugin either. Oh well. :slight_smile:

edit:

Unfortunately, for some reason, I get the same errors I get with the other plugins, samj. Not sure what’s different between your build of GIMP and the official site’s build that may be causing this issue. Not sure if you have created a GIMP installer; maybe your’s would not have these bugs. Again, oh well. At least the old compile of Resynthesizer still works (bootchk version of course; the original Resynthesizer which is called Resynth still doesn’t work either). :slight_smile:

Bonjour,

I do not know what is your problem :o(
Try to check the plugin directories in Gimp’s preferences…

The compilations of this morning are tested and work well in 32 bits and in 64 bits with Gimp 2.10.2 of gimp.org

Not sure either, samj and it’s beyond annoying. May just bite the bullet and to a complete reset to see if that fixes my issue since the same plugins works perfectly fine in the portable version except PSPI for whatever reason (but PSPI works fine in the install version). Very strange behavior. Might somehow be related to the fact that I’ve not un-installed GIMP 2.8.22, but, I’m unwilling to do so at this time. :slight_smile:

edit:

Well reset to defaults (and to re-add plugin paths) but that didn’t work. There’s obviously something different between your build, samj, and the released installer build that’s different since plugins that work in your portable won’t work with the install build. Again, strange behavior. I have GIMP 2.8.22 and your portable builds for now as workarounds. Just wish I could figure out why PSPI and Mathmap work in with the install build but PSPI doesn’t (have tried to Mathmap with portable yet). :slight_smile:

Bonjour,

At home the plug-ins compiled this morning work very well with gimp.org’s standard installation of gimp 2.10.2, that’s what I see.
I can not be a big help on your problems.

Yeah; again, very strange behavior. Maybe I just need to uninstall (completely) GIMP and manually delete any share directories then start over. Way too lazy at the moment to even attempt this, samj. May wait until a future update to GIMP for thest attempt. :slight_smile: