Why I use Linux. Arch, btw.

I have been using Linux as my OS of choice since early 2019. In this video I talk about why I use Arch Linux, btw, as my daily driver operating system.

This is quite a nerdy video, much moreso than my others and has very (very) little to do with photography. You have been warned.

12 Likes

Iā€™ll look forward to sitting down with this one later - I like hearing why people use what they use!

1 Like

Very nice, Radu. You are an effective Linux-evangelist!

2 Likes

Fedora user here, but with great interest in Arch. Maybe in a near future :blush::+1:

1 Like

Hah! Is there anywhere that this is a paid job? I feel like I would enjoy doing it.

1 Like

Yes, and hereā€™s the Guy who created the evangelist industry:

1 Like

I read his book on Apple (ā€œThe McIntosh wayā€, IIRC) a long time ago. Didnā€™t find it particularly good (ā€œApple: good, everything else: badā€).

The problem with these evangelists is that they essentially preach to the choir, and since their income depends on how much the choir loves them they canā€™t be too controversialā€¦

4 Likes

Got to meet him at a couple of choir rehearsals (SacraBlue).

Nice video. Interesting to follow. You almost convinced me. Been a Debian user since Woody though :grinning:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what I recall of my impression of him from decades ago, just in general. I didnā€™t have the stomach to read his book. Too many Apple fanboys in those days seemed to worship at the altar of Steve Jobs. Kind of like those at the altar of Bill Gates and othersā€¦

2 Likes

Make sure you leave offering of toe jam at the alter of stallman

Iā€™ve run into a few RMS folks, but nothing GNU ā€¦

2 Likes

For Unix folks there has never been anything GNU under the Sun.

1 Like

Tumbleweed here. Rolling for those with with less time at hand. Iā€™m treating it like an immutable OS though (near 100% Distrobox, Homebrew and Flatpaks), so I could probably go Fedora Kinoite. Looks like it has gotten some polish lately. Separation of OS core and user installed packages makes 100% sense to me at this stage in lifeā€¦

In what way is RMS to be modified? Are we talking about an alter[sic]-ego? :wink:

1 Like

Well, at least not until Sun jumped on the open source bandwagon in the 2000s. Why you could even run (so to speak) Gnome on their workstations. But who wanted to? Sun never quite understood that they were a server company, not a desktop company. Their servers were good (very good in some ways) but they just never understood desktops.

However, as a Sun sysadmin for years I had either a SPARC Ultra 1 or SunBlade 100 (150?) workstation on my physical desktop. That is, until we all kinda decided there was no need to maintain a dedicated Sun box and started using PuTTY, MobaXterm, etc., from our Windows PCs.

But man I thought that roll-around SunFire V880 was the catā€™s meow when it first arrived. A few weeks of managing it as a Networker backup server reminded me that a server is a server is a server is a server is aā€¦

1 Like

Except freedom that the GNU bestowed upon us all.

2 Likes

Have you heard about openSUSE Aeon/Kalpa? Immutable OSes based on Tumbleweed. They donā€™t have ā€stableā€ releases yet, but at least Aeon has been a blast. Richard Brown, the person leading Aeon development, seems to have a pretty great vision and Iā€™m convinced Aeon will end up in a very nice place.

1 Like

Yes! Iā€™m a KDE person and and Kalpa seems to be far behind Aeon at this point. From what Iā€™ve heard itā€™s basically a one man band and considered alpha. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m looking at Kinoite.

Sadly, the KDE versions of most distros are usually behind the Gnome ones.

Iā€™ve been on linux since the early 2000ā€™s so for over 20 years now. Nice to see your video. Used to run Arch, now on Manjaro - has been very solid for me for the last 4 years or so.