Wide Gamut SDR in darktable?

Is it possible to export wide gamut SDR images with darktable, like these:
https://www.wide-gamut.com/images

I tried changing output color profile settings, but I can’t notice a difference except gamma getting messed up sometimes compared to an sRGB export.

Welcome to the forum!

I went to the wide-gamut.com site, clicked on each of the images and they all looked the same, DCI-P3 or sRGB, in Chrome on my Windows Surface tablet. I haven’t looked yet, but if the images contain their representative color profiles and your browser color management settings haven’t changed, it’s converting any image with an embedded color profile to sRGB for you, thanks a lot, Chrome…

I don’t use darktable, but I do know it has some sort of ‘export profile’ setting that allows you to specify the output transform and embedding.

I use a wide gamut monitor and I see a difference between DCI-P3 and sRGB on the site https://www.wide-gamut.com/images using Firefox ESR on Debian. I am uncertain how color managed my Debian stable Firefox ESR application is, but I see a difference. I have not tried to download files from the site and view them in a color managed viewer. I normally use Geeqie or GIMP (or darktable itself) to get a color managed view.

Darktable can export image files with several possible output color profiles using darktable -> output color profile -> export profile, where several wide gamut output profiles are listed, as @ggbutcher states above. If an output profile is not already listed you can add new icc files in $HOME/.config/darktable/color/out (on LINUX). I normally use wide gamut ProPhotoRGB and 16-bit tiff when I archive files after processing.

Darktable darktable -> output color profile -> export profile contains PQ P3 and HLG P3 already. I do not know how they compare to DCI P3 in terms of gamut and other profile properties.

Why would you expect to see a difference between a wide-gamut space and sRBG on a colour-managed system with sRGB display? (Other than small differences due to different algorithms for gamut compression between the web site and your browser)

@ggbutcher : I thought conversion to the display colour space/gamut was desirable to allow colours as close to “correct” as possible?

1 Like

It is, just a little peeved that Chrome just chooses a rendition colorspace for me…

Does it? It is not your operating system that tells it what the display gamut is?

1 Like

There are a few options

Updating my research from early last year, seems that force_color_profile is removed from Chrome. It defaulted to sRGB.

https://superuser.com/questions/1714115/forcing-color-profile-to-srgb-in-chrome-100

Hard to hit a moving target…

Seems not Chrome. Gotta update my test…

I heard that too but it still comes up in my browser…maybe it gets ignored…

I wonder if Chrome and some others will just leverage this…

I’ve got a set of test images, embedded/not color profiles of various gamut, when I get a chance I’ll run them through the browser.

The force_color_profile still shows up in my instance…

I never said that I use an sRGB display. It’s wide gamut, managed by colord - asking about a wide gamut workflow wouldn’t make sense otherwise.