Wider RGB space colors in UI dialogs, specially in color picker. Not only in sRGB but also in Adobe RGB

Hello,

I was trying a very recent nightly build (as the .16 had an issue with my Wacom XL, happily fixed on a .17 nightly version) and while working in ‘Adobe RGB’ color space, configuring everything (file and environment) as needed, all seems to work well, but… the color and gradient that is shown in the color pickers, the color sample, etc, etc , seems to be still on the sRGB color space. So, some important intense greens, purples or magentas etc, show up very differently when picking them than once painting. Which is quite a problem unless working only in sRGB color space; good monitors support now much wider range, and also, some colors which would show up in print, are not covered in sRGB).

I was able to paint very comfortably with these builds, so, this is the only problem remaining to make Gimp (for me) a tool that I can depend on for work as a digital painter (no biggie as I have other software, but would love to use Gimp, too).

I have read something about the “spaces invasion” (amazing name, btw :slight_smile: ), about something pending related to color spaces. But I was wondering if before that happening it might show up a fix for the color picker dialog (the one with the color gradient) and color sample in a nightly build, as those builds seem to work for me in everything else.

Cheers, and thanks for your heavy work. :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Hi! Yes, you can read about the (Color) Space Invasion checklist here: Space Invasion in GIMP 3 (#9947) · Issues · GNOME / GIMP · GitLab

I worked on some of this earlier, and I think Jehan is making some big API changes that will fix this problem and others (laying the groundwork for CMYK/LAB Color modes for instance). That should all be in 3.0, so hopefully it’ll show up in a nightly build soon-ish.

1 Like

Thank you!! That’s absolutely great to hear. :slight_smile:

1 Like