Will 3.6 be able to read cr3 files from a R5?

It’ll take time to get used to the fact that R5 isn’t a DSLR :blush:

1 Like

You need time to get used to? Or do you think I don’t know the fact it’s a mirrorless camera?

If you own something like that for sure you know…:wink:

1 Like

Now please back to topic. I have been reading the bug trackers of darktable, exiv2 and raw speed for months now, still i don’t know the internal communication and how high priority this is that’s why I was asking. It seems I’ll have to be patient. I’d love to help but I figure the file parser part is also a problem that is solved theoretically and practically in other implementations. So I’ll provide noise profiles and other stuff as soon as it’s possible

Nah, I also call R6 and R5 a dslr all the time. It’s just to weird and long to call it mirrorless.

Benjamin I’m with you on this. I have bought an EOS RP recently and I’m still waiting for a dt release supporting the cr3 files.

For the moment I’m using ART but it’s tough for me to have two different applications to manage my photos. Honestly I wasn’t expecting to use and enjoy the RP so much (my other camera is a Nikon D810) – when I bought it I was perfectly aware that there was still work to be done in terms of dt support but I remember thinking “well it’s just to test this camera and see if it’s worht investing time and energy in this sytem, meanwhile dt will add support for its raw files”… and look where I am now – in the past 3 months the only recent photos I took are all canon’s!

I have looked at the github repos for dt and rawspeed for hints and things to be done but I haven’t seen anything that I can contribute.

If you see this other discussion, I started to look at alternative ways to batch convert cr3 files to a format that can be read in dt but as far as I understand there is no output “raw” format that I can write to using python libraries.

I have recently found out another library that should allow writing to dng but haven’t looked into it very carefully (seems to be targeted to rasbperry pi cameras?):

1 Like

@piratenpanda

In addition to the above, I could probably help in making lens profiles with lensfun, once I buy some other lens; my only lens now is the RF50mm 1.8 which doesn’t really need that much correction honestly.

But the other lenses that are on my wishlist, they will definetly need lensfun support; the alternatives I’m evaluating are 24-240mm, 24-105 f4 and (if I really need a combat lens), the 24-105 f4-7.1

Now, I’m asking this just to know if you do have these lenses and are planning on doing this as well. Somerthing like, sharing the effort or maybe each of us can do work on one lens for example.

1 Like

I’m now using Adode DNG converter in wine which will do for the meantime :slight_smile: Thanks for the other project though!

According to Lensfun's coverage the RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM is already supported, at least for distortion and tca, vignetting is still left to do. I don’t plan to buy any of the lenses you mentioned, so feel free to go on without me :slight_smile:

thanks Benjamin. Good info that the rf24-105 f4 is already there. It would be top of my list but it is more expensive than the others so I’m waiting to get some good second hand opportunity.

I’ll keep you (and the forum) updated if I do manage to get something out of these python libraries that I’ve found.

Hey @aadm - if you have a EOS RP can you help us a bit? (also anybody who has CR3 Generator could help)

Here’s what we need from EOS RP:

1. We need CR3 in RAW and CRAW form: Each camera should have two raw quality levels: RAW and CRAW (please notify me if there are any deviations). I need one file per ISO setting for each quality level. The files must be named accordingly: Canon_EOS_RP_CRAW_ISO_100.CR3 for example.
  2. We need ALL ISO settings: Please note that 1/3 ISO steps are set, i.e. I also need ISO 125, ISO 160 etc. In addition, all these cameras should have ISO L (50) and some HI-ISO values, sometimes referred to as H1 and H2.
  3. We need also all variants of crop mode (eg if you put APS-C lens on FF body): If your camera has an optional 1.6x crop mode, I need all photos for full frame AND with 1.6x crop enabled. Please add _CROP to the file name.
  4. Corect licence (CC-0): Before you take the photos, please enter the license “CC-0” in the camera menu under “Copyright”, i.e. the photos are then generally free.
  5. Correct content: About the scene: Something colorful (so no white wall or the like, no people either, cats are okay). It is ideal if all files depict the same scene. Lens, aperture, etc., it doesn’t matter. But make sure the scene is properly exposed and that edges aren’t black
  6. Sending: Then please pack all these CR3 files as a ZIP file and send me link here e.g. via Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc. (approximately 1.2-1.6 GiB).

we need a bit more combinations than raw.pixls.us recommends (all iso and crop variants) :slight_smile: But it should be doable.

I think I’ll create an additional post for that…

3 Likes

@johnny-bit Do you need something from the R5 as well? Just asking as you didn’t tag me

Thanks @piratenpanda :slight_smile: I think we have full set of samples for R, R5 and M50. If you want to create a full set of samples for R5 it would best to have newest firmware on it :slight_smile:

So with 1.3.1. it would provide something useful to you? And I only see four R5 images on raw.pixls.us so you have them somewhere internally I guess

Yes it will provide useful data. Please if you can create full set as described - all ISO combinations and crops with CC0 licence :slight_smile:

Thank you!

will do that

1 Like

In the respective darktable issue on github it also says dual pixel as well. Do you also want that? I guess if yes, we’ll have to do this in several steps as my poor server is not that big :smiley:
Currently uploading raw and craw

@johnny-bit

I’ll do that tomorrow Hubert, I’m happy to help!

2 Likes

@johnny-bit Please find R5 raws, cropped raws, craws, cropped craws, dual pixel raws, cropped dual pixel raws, dual pixel craws and cropped dual pixed craws here:
https://pandainthecloud.de/nextcloud/index.php/s/qwFEYQrzHqPBgQk
Taken with firmware 1.3.1

I’m sorry if the naming conventions are not fulfilled 100% but renaming after downloading seemed easier than reuploading several hours again.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Also please let me know when you dont need the files anymore on my server

put them to https://raws.pixls.us