With this pipe line each update takes 2 minutes!

I am currently running version 4.7.0+433~ga7852b83f6 of Darktable on Win 11.
The XMP file is currently 1.18 Mb large.
Total 9 paths and 49 healings in Retouch.
This is a raw file (ARW) of a b&w 45 x 60 mm negative filling the viewer.

Is Negadoctor causing the 120 second delay?

It begins as usual - everything works good. Then at one point things slow down until a point when it’s impossible to work further in Darkroom.

I had to export this raw file (ARW) to a tiff file to be able to finish with 2 x Retouch, one with wave forms and blur for the skin structure, and one with fill to cover reflections. Then all ‘speed’ had been eaten up again.

I need help, I have a lot of old negatives for Negadoctor.

Start up instruction:

Pipeline:

If possible share your xmp.

Also, how long is your history? A very long history will considerably slow down dt. If it’s long, try compress history stack.

grafik

Run from the command-line with darktable -d perf, and check the log. It will show how much time each module takes.

So, you answered your own question: the culprit is not Negadoctor, but rather retouch.

Note that altering input color profile at the end of the pipeline will re-run almost the complete pipeline, as it’s one of the modules placed quite close to the beginning, all the others depending on its output.

I’ll be back later with further anwers, kofa.
I remember to have set automatic update to repeat itself each 10th second. With an XMP file at 1,18 Mb that could probably slow things down - or?

Saving the XMP every few seconds (if that’s what you mean) should not affect processing times.

Well … that reduced the file size considerably - now it’s only 48 kb (how could I forget to do that - Please don’t answer!).

This solved the problem.

Thank you a lot, both/all, this is a great place to be recharged (and reminded).

2 Likes