Wrench/Key/Driver for Tripod Screw/Fixing?

The case for my Fuji X-T10 is secured via the tripod mount using a ‘hollow’ screw that allows the camera to be secured to a tripod without taking off the case.

I’m looking for a simple, cost-effective tool that for securing/releasing this screw. None of my flathead drivers are large enough to span the hollow gap, and I can’t tell you how many cases I’ve damaged by trying to use a use a coin.

This would be good, but it’s way too overkill for my needs:

Camera Tool

These are pretty much exactly what I’m looking for, but hard to get hold of in the UK:

Coin Tool

I supose I’m looking for recomendations from anyone that actually owns and uses something similar to what I’m looking for. Are there any standard driver bits that will fit this screw in a standard hex shank? If so, which one would fit the screw head perfectly?

I have this, which seems like it’d work Amazon.com

1 Like

Cool! Now, that looks promising. I did see this, but didn’t look at it in detail for some reason. And a bottle opener, tool — that would be REALLY useful to me. What’s it like? Is it durable?

The plastic part isn’t as stiff as I’d like, but the metal bits are fine.

1 Like

Will the bottle opener actually open bottles? If so, I might get me one. :slight_smile:

Never tried, but I don’t see why not.

1 Like

Alternatively, could you swap out the screw for one that matches the tools you have?

I have those, they are pretty neat. Plenty of sellers on AliExpress. Here’s a 5-pack: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004846718350.html

2 Likes

Alas, that would unfortunately prove an even grrater challenge. :frowning:

How about a large, thick fender washer? Take the screw to your hardware store and find one (or several) that fit best.

1 Like

I have the base plate and strap from this company and they’re great. Was tempted by their photographer’s tool as well, which looks kinda like what you’re after.

They deliver from the EU but I’ve not had any issues with UK delivery.

1 Like

The tripod thread is either a UNC 1/4" - 20 tpi or UNC 3/8" - 16 tpi although some cameras (mainly old ones) use a British Standard Whitworth 3/16".

I think the hex key you need will be an imperial size.

1 Like

Wow! That little thing is a work of art! I’m definatley going to pick one of those up. I’m looking at their ‘wrap’ system too. Nice little find. Where are the company based? Germany?

I’m a sucker for supporting smaller businesses – I once ordered a battery box all the way from California that was designed and manufactred there. I couldn’t resist it; it was a tiny work of art. I still have it, love it, and take it everywhere with me. Oh, and not to forget some beutiful custom-made camera straps from Queensland.

Interesting. After using all kinds of screwdrivers I have switched to using coins exclusively.
5ct Euro work the best for me across all different screws I have on my photo gear.

And from the pics I can not see how the coin tool would be much different except for the hole, which I resolved with a drill on some of my coins. :innocent:

1 Like

The issue is that the screw is countersunk below the leather — any overhang from a coin (including a 5ct Euro) or washer chews up the leather. I can’t use a smaller driver because the screw is hollow. Ergo the dilema. :slight_smile:

I believe they’re German, yes. I bought their original CP.BG camera plate and then two of the mark 2s (CP.02) with straps (for my main and infrared cameras). I think they’re great.

I did find a UK stockist for one of them but I don’t recall where it was now. The shipping from EU is pretty quick anyway.

1 Like

Oh! Okay! The “countersunk” detail escaped me…

Well, what about a visit to your local blacksmith or hacker space?
Or depending on your personal skills or ambitions a little metalwork with a fretsaw?

1 Like

There are other approaches, but you could (with a grinder, Dremel, file or even a hacksaw) notch a large washer to remove the “shoulders” and allow it to fit.

1 Like

It’s slightly bigger, so gives better leverage. It’s also a bit flatter, so less likely to damage the screw slot.

2 Likes

Great idea, but I don’t have access to any such tools, unfortunately. However…

that would certainly give me another fantastic reason to pop down and join up — something I’ve been wanting to do since forever. :slight_smile: