In the south-east corner of Poland right next to Ukraine, Żurawica Rozrządowa is a marshalling yard built in 1860 as part of the Galician Railway of Archduke Charles Louis of Austria. Initially a minor station, it was vastly expanded by the Nazis in 1940-1 as part of Operation Otto (later renamed to Operation Barbarossa) in order to facilitate an attack on the Soviet Union. It was further expanded after the war to facilitate the looting of goods, grains and livestock from occupied Poland into the Soviet Union. As a station linking the East to the West, it contains cranes and infrastructure needed to move cargo from the 5 foot (1524mm) track gauge used by the Soviets to the more narrow 4 foot 8.5 inch (1435mm) “standard gauge” used elsewhere.
Station diagram (hello OpenTTD fans):
Sony α7 II, Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AI-s, RawTherapee.