A bit of a moan about not being able to install RT 5.9 in Mint 21

Thank you for the update. That is most encouraging; I will try it for myself in a ‘native’ Linux environment (but it’s pushing the boundaries of my knowledge and understanding).

The point I was ineptly trying to make is that I am surprised/disappointed that the Mint team haven’t given the necessary attention to enabling RT 5.9 to be installed from the binaries that others have made available. Yes, I understand there is only so much the Mint team can do with the resources available, but I would opine that RT is a rather significant package which should perhaps have a somewhat higher position in the queue for those resources.

Thank you for the additional guidance, too. That now gives me more options to try.

this your rant should probably go at your distro’s forum … you have at least several options

1. build a RT for yourself - it’s easier task than you think - and eventually start maintaining a RT for your distro - this is how foss community works

2. change your distro - for example SUSE has it openSUSE Software

I use SUSE almost 20 years and I just love it …

cheers, ~dan

for me it was:

open a terminal window and in there:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install git build-essential cmake curl pkg-config libgtk-3-dev libgtkmm-3.0-dev liblensfun-dev librsvg2-dev liblcms2-dev libfftw3-dev libiptcdata0-dev libtiff5-dev libcanberra-gtk3-dev libexiv2-dev
cd ~
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/dev/tools/build-rawtherapee -O build-rawtherapee
chmod +x build-rawtherapee
./build-rawtherapee

And thats it

1 Like

That’s very close to what I did a few hours ago, using the ‘automatic’ method as described in RawPedia, creating RT 5.9-474-something in ~/programs/rawtherapee/ from which location it runs just fine. The compilation was remarkably straightforward with not a single error or warning message. Far simpler than compiling darktable. But there the story comes to an abrupt and disappointing end.

Although this location is in my PATH, rawtherapee cannot be invoked except when I’m in its containing directory.

Furthermore, nothing I have tried in the last 3 hours or so will get GIMP 2.10.36 to find this version - or any version - of rawtherapee - and believe me I have tried placing copies of the executable and symlinks to it in the plug-ins folders in .config/GIMP/… and /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins and in all the subsequent directories like file-raw-placeholder and file-rawtherapee. Must have tried 50 or so combinations of places and programs without success.

So, now I at least have an up to date version of RT 5.9 running under Mint 21.2 (as long as I am in the right directory) but GIMP still steadfastly declines to see it - or darktable, Very irritating.

1 Like

There must be something wrong with your PATH setup if it can only be invoked when in the containing directory. That would probably explain the issues with GIMP also

I have not built RT from source, but isn’t the binary in a bin directory under the installation target? If so, that’s the directory you should put on your path.

The RawPedia article on compiling RT is very easy to read and even I can understand it. Two approaches to compiling are described: Automatic and Manual. (Obviously there is also a ‘do-it-yourself’ approach for those with the requisite skills). Using either of the 2 documented approaches results in the executable (named ‘rawtherapee’) being created in the folder ~/programs/rawtherapee. This is quite different to the usual place where, for instance, darktable compiles its executable and associated commands - in /usr/bin or /opt/darktable/bin when compiling for yourself…

I guess this difference doesn’t matter all that much - as long as other programs - like GIMP for example - can be told where to find rawtherapee (or darktable for that matter). As part of this ‘telling’ I assume that GIMP uses the PATH, which is why I have made sure that ~/programs/rawtherapee is on the PATH. So it is a cause of some confusion to me as to why rawtherapee can be invoked only when in that directory (in my installation). The PATH is, after all, simple to check and simple to set - even for me. I have not yet reverted to the Big Red Switch but I’ll have to try that. In the meantime I’m using increasingly emphatic Anglo-Saxon words and phrases.

Yes, quite agree with you: that’s the only logical explanation (I think). But I’m unable to see the flaw.

How did you set your PATH? An export command is only valid in the shell it is invoked in. If you added the directory in you bashrc or profile, but you launch Gimp using an icon, you’ll have to log out and then log in again.

BTW, darktable can also be installed in a user directory, that’s what I do, too.

Yes, that’s what I did, using nano to edit .bashrc

Ah, I didn’t know that. Where would I set that string ?

./build.sh --prefix /home/kofa/darktable-master --build-type Release --install

You can find my complete build script at the end of this post: master build help - #7 by kofa

Thank you

Did you verify that your PATH was updated correctly?

$ echo $PATH

Some things to try:

• Edit PATH in .profile instead of .bashrc

• Try a full path (without the ~).

PATH="$PATH:/home/yourusername/programs/rawtherapee"

I doubt the Mint people have the responsibility of supporting third party binaries. It might even be impossible due to conflicting dependencies. That task falls on the people who made the binaries and it looks like they don’t support your version of Mint.

I don’t know how official Mint packages work, but if they have an official RawTherapee package and manage it like Ubuntu does, then it is their policy to keep the version fixed to 5.8 for your particular release of Mint. Back when I used Ubuntu, I had to use a PPA to stay on the latest version of RawTherapee.

this is unfortunately not the best approach … I recommend to symlink a rawtherapee into your ~/bin which is standard (to have ~/bin in PATH by default in the most of distros)

ln -sn /path/to/rawtherapee ~/bin/

That’s certainly a good option. As I mentioned, there are other ways to add RawTherapee to PATH. The choice is up to personal requirements and comfort level with the steps.

This astounds me. I had to leave my study, go stand in the garden and shriek. After replacing double quotes with singles in the PATH assignment in .bashrc ( PATH=“$PATH:…”) and placing a symlink to rawtherapee in /.local/bin, GIMP sent me a beautiful message in a window overlaying RawTherapee welcoming me to the RawTherapee GIMP plugin.

It has only taken since November 2019 to achieve this.

But why does it work at all? I have made no changes that GIMP can know about, surely? The symlink was only to ensure that RawTherapee could be invoked from locations other than where it is installed. The change of quote marks was only a guess at trying to achieve the same thing.

This is now a bit like living in the middle ages: we don’t know why it works and we don’t even need to know why; we just have to keep following the ritual…

could you please share with us exactly what changes you did and exactly how the lines that you’ve added/modified in .bashrc/.profile look like ?

it’s not a rocket science … it will be very easy … the most likely the GIMP has in his configured paths to look in ~/.local/bin or wherever you’ve placed it …

I don’t use ubuntu but all distros have it similar … PATH= is normally build from /etc/profile.d files or from /etc/profile … Personally I don’t build software as root (just never) and I use for all software that I build locally a prefix (DESTDIR=) ~/opt (eg “opt” folder in my user’s home dir) so I modified my PATH by adding $HOME/opt/bin:$HOME/opt/usr/bin:$HOME/opt/sbin at the top of my “normal” PATH= … other people use as PREFIX= some absolute path so for example PREFIX=$HOME/opt/rawtherapee_xyz which will result in that binaries will be in this folder and you have to do a symlink - alternatively Makefiles typically support a variable BINDIR= where you can specify where binaries will go

.bashrc (bottom rows) looked like this:

export PATH=“$PATH:/home/tony/programs/rawtherapee: /home/tony/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins: /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins: /home/tony/MyApps”

I had inserted the double quotes after finding that the PATH would not be updated until I added them (without editing .bashrc). Note the spaces between each path declaration string.

That part of .bashrc now looks like this:
export PATH=$PATH:/home/tony/programs/rawtherapee:/home/tony/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins:/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins:/home/tony/MyApps

Note: no quotes, no spaces. And no other changes to .bashrc (or .profile) because I lack understanding of the options and implications of what I would be doing.

The other change was to place a symlink to rawtherapee into ./local/bin. As I do not make any changes to Makefile when compiling (because I don’t know what I am doing), the compile process recommended by the RawTherapee development team results in RawTherapee being installed in ~/programs/rawtherapee. I don’t have an issue with that.

The spaces were causing problems. Without the quotes, the spaces break up the command. Even with quotes, those spaces are not supposed to be in PATH. You have it correct now.

Is it the PATH or the symlink that enabled GIMP to open RawTherapee? What are the contents of your PATH now (echo $PATH)?