a dog named Nala

have fun playing…

Nala_DSC_1946.NEF.xmp (15.1 KB)
Nala_DSC_1946.NEF (32.0 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

10 Likes

Awwww, what a cutie! :slight_smile:

RT5.8

Nala_DSC_1946.jpg.out.pp3 (13.0 KB)

2 Likes

very nice

@Suki2019 Nice shot, nice dog. Thanks for posting!
In my opinion you lost to much detail in the in the light parts of the fur in your edit.

Nala_DSC_1946.NEF.xmp (30.7 KB)

2 Likes

hmmm … I can’t confirm that. I have a calibrated EIZO monitor (last calibration 01.04.2021).

yes, the lights are a bit marginal, but not so that too many details are lost.

If I remember correctly, didn’t you say in a post that you have the impression that your pictures are always too dark?

when you work on it, nala’s white fur is already gray and looks “dirty” to me.

possibly another user with a calibrated monitor can play the judge here :laughing: :sweat_smile:

no hate… :smile:

dog.named.nala.pp3 (15.9 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 (+Krita 4.4.2 for the removal of some of the reflections. I do need to spend more time on mastering that).

@Suki2019: I fully agree with @Thomas_Do. Your uploaded image has lost detail in the lighter parts. Can’t talk for Thomas, but I do have a calibrated monitor :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

hmmm interesting …

is the fur just a white spot for you? or the structure can still be recognized.
actually there should still be slight struc- tures visible.
I haven’t cut out the tonal values.
nala’s fur is also really white in nature.

Your work also looks gray to me… :smile:

I’ve checked it on 3 monitors, one of them came factory calibrated in 2019 but hasn’t been calibrated since.

I don’t see it as one white blob but it does look kind of flat. I like it but I also don’t think you always need to bring out every little detail. For me it works with the strong black/white contrast you were going for…

Yes, I checked your file and you are right. The information is mostly there. However, on my monitor the impression is not really good. Although my monitor is calibrated, it is not a high end device. But this is the case for most people viewing pictures on the internet. Your monitor might be to good :wink: .

I am not sure if I mentioned somthing like that here. I know the effect but I know how to deal with it.

You know your dog best but “white” in reality is always gray :wink: .

then everything is correct … :sweat_smile:

1 Like

my memory is not always the best :smile:

Thanks for posting,
DT 3.4.0

Nala_DSC_1946.NEF.xmp (11.8 KB)

3 Likes

If I look at it full sized I can barely distinguish details.

I know that fur can be very white and it is sometimes hard to see individual hairs when the light is coming from a certain angle, but as you can see from the other edits here that that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I’m tending to , again, agree with Thomas about you having a very good monitor. Mine is good, but not Eizo quality good :grin:

About the always too dark remark, I mentioned a while back that I tend to make my edits too dark. But I also did that when I had a shitty budget monitor… I’m somewhat sensitive to light.

then my processing is as i wanted it to be. next time I’ll do it a little less white :grin:

ART

1 Like

Before I wrote my first post in this thread, I had doubts about including (constructive) criticism. I therefore explicitly wrote “in my opinion”. I did not want to be right , but to set impulses and start a discussion. I personally think that there is too little discussion about the play raws here. In contrast, discussions on technical topics are always very lively. I would wish that in this forum we could learn more through constructive mutual criticism.
But I also know, how difficult it is to be publicly criticized. So, also from me: " no hate …".

1 Like

I’d love this. Then again, it takes a certain skill to give constructive criticism (like emphasizing it’s only your opinion, especially with something like editing where a lot of things are just a matter of taste) without coming off as arrogant. Also maybe not everyone wants constructive criticism.

Maybe we could make it a thing to state in our submission posts that cc is appreciated?

1 Like

ohh no … I meant with “no hate” because I am not seen as aggressive and everyone should discuss it on an equal footing.
(that’s why I always use :smile:)
I have already conveyed that in the few posts of myself. so from my side I am fully with you

everyone sees the world in their colors …

What a soulful gaze! Thanks for sharing @Suki2019. Here is an attempt using RawTherapee 5.8 aiming to keep the whiteness of the fur.
Nala_DSC_1946.jpg.out.pp3 (12.2 KB)

2 Likes

Here is my take on it with dt 3.4. It is such a good image, I didn’t do very much to it. Maybe it is oversimplistic, but …

Nala_DSC_1946.NEF.xmp (9.3 KB)

1 Like