A foggy sunrise

Sidecar: pr.foggy.morning.pp3 + GIMP (removing overhead lines)
RAW: pr.foggy.morning.rw2 (17.2 MB)
License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Caught another beautiful early morning sunrise.

I do not know what it is called in English. Normal fog is rather heavy and close to the ground. This morning’s fog was like a veil; From the ground all the way to high up in the air. And rather translucent, causing the already orange sunlight to paint everything in an orange gradient. Hard to capture, but I think I did a decent job.

Hope you have fun with this one.

EDIT: Also did one in darktable (no overhead lines removal though):

P1002274.rw2.xmp (10.6 KB)

15 Likes

pr.foggy.morning.jpg.out.pp3 (15.3 KB)

1 Like

pr.foggy.morning.rw2.xmp (11.4 KB)

2 Likes

@Jade_NL Nice one. The trees are very shapely, except for the one jutting branch to the right.

1 Like

pr.foggy.morning.rw2.xmp (9.4 KB)

Trying out darktable’s new color balance RGB module. I like it!

2 Likes

We are having a late spring due to the cold spell, normally these trees would be full of foliage this time of year. Makes for a nice view though.

Yeah, definitely… I was already busy removing the overhead lines, should have taken care of the branch too! Will do on my side of things.

Very easy to get lost in the foggy details and branches on this one. Loved it. :slight_smile:

RT5.8

pr.foggy.morning.rw2.pp3 (13.8 KB)

3 Likes

A nice one!
I used temperature correlation WB as a base and changed temperature and tint a little (big) bit.

pr.foggy.morning_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.5 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! No chance for a longsleeper like me to catch such a beautiful scene :grin:

Focused on my favorite tree, enhanced the lighted area a bit and removed some wires and flagpoles:

dt 3.4.0

pr.foggy.morning.rw2.xmp (34.1 KB)

4 Likes

darktable 3.4.1.1

pr.foggy.morning.jpg.xmp (4,1 Ko)

2 Likes

Yes it is :slight_smile:

I noticed I was trying too many different things during my first edit and jumped from one idea to another, all detail related and some not compatible at all… Ended up starting from scratch and concentrated on the colour of the sky and the overall softness. The second one I did was based on the colour orange, details and darker tree silhouettes.

I do prefer my first one though.

I’m always out-and-about at a very early time. Rain, hail or shine… I love to be living in a country that has 4 seasons, but I am happy that spring is starting though.

Nice to see a different crop. Did you do the overhead line removal in darktable?

Wysyłanie: pr.foggy.morning-PhotoFlow-GIMP Mantiuk-LAB.jpg

PhotoFlow => GIMP => Mantiuk and LAB

Glad you like it. Yes, all removals were done using dt:retouch.

my attempt

history in *.jpg

1 Like

Same morning, different spot and about 30 minutes later:

Krita 4.4.3 (basic RAW conversion RawTherapee 5.8)

RAW: pr.30.min.later.rw2 (18.8 MB)
This one is also: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

6 Likes

Nice! Probably not true to the original scene but I immediately felt this could also work with a colder color palette.

RT5.8

pr.30.min.later.jpg.out.pp3 (13.9 KB)

1 Like

Your colour palette surely reflects how it felt! It’s still around 0 °C this early in the morning even though its late April. Only the sun peaking over the horizon gave it that warm orangey tint.

DT 3.4.1.1

pr.30.min.later.rw2.xmp (93,1 KB)

5 Likes

I’ve been looking at this edit a few times now and I find the colours in this one rather interesting. It has a bit of that late 50s early 60s feel to it. Nice.

2 Likes

Thanks