A foggy sunrise

Wonderful image.

I’ve been messing with a two-part curve strategy lately 1) loggamma curve, followed by 2) control point curve to put things where I want, rather than squeezing blood out of equation parameters. With that, a crop, and a scooch of saturation, here’s what I came up with in rawproc:

5 Likes

You seem to be seeing/wanting the same thing that I did. Like how yours is just a little bit less saturated/contrasty then mine.

Nice crop to get around the ugly bits :laughing:

1 Like

A foggy sunrise_pr.30.min.later

history should be in *.jpg

1 Like

Many would call it mist or ground fog. English can be imprecise and context dependent. No matter what you call it, this is a great raw capture.

1 Like

Wysyłanie: pr.30.min.later-LightZone_lzn-GIMP-LAB.jpg
LightZone_lzn => GIMP-LAB

1 Like

Thank you for the play,
GIMP/G’MIC:

3 Likes

Since I am completely unfamiliar with RT, I am mystified by how cleanly the lines were removed from the trees. How much work is it to do that?

Your lines were so straight in retouch; do you use a drawing pad?

Thanks for posting this very nice picture!
Here is my take using darktable.

pr.30.min.later.rw2.xmp (10.3 KB) pr.30.min.later_01

3 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.4.1
pr.30.min.later_full_size pr.30.min.later.rw2.xmp (16.0 KB)

5 Likes

As mentioned in the sidecar info: The overhead lines were removed using GIMP.

That depends a bit on your proficiency.

For me its a few minutes using GIMP. Could have done this using Krita but I’m not yet that proficient with its removal/reconstruct possibilities. Would have taken 2, probably 3 times longer. For my second shot (#15) the removal was done using Krita. Not as complicated as the first one, also took just a few minutes.

@Jean-Marc_Digne:

Nice crop, not at all what I had in mind when taking this shot but it definitely works!

1 Like

Does GIMP have a specific tool to do that? Not like retouch, but something that could take the lines out of the trees automatically?

No, removing stuff is almost always a multi step process if you want to do a good job. Even removing a relatively simple power line or vapor trail in a clear sky might need a bit of extra work for example (the gradient might be slightly off in the fixed part).

The brunt of the removal in the first shot was done using GIMP’s resynthesizer tool, which is a rather powerful tool, but it doesn’t do a perfect job. I had to go in with the Clone tool and the Healing tool to tidy up the trees and fix the sky gradient in some places.

The second shot was done with a combination of Krita’s Smart patch (“healing”) and Clone tool (in that order).

Depending on the situation you might also need to slightly blur/sharpen some of the parts that are “fixed” by the crop/heal/resynthesizer/patch tool(s) or even paint-in the missing parts yourself (some basic retouching).

1 Like

You do nice work!

1 Like

Wonderful atmosphere.
pr.30.min.later
pr.30.min.later.rw2.xmp (22.7 KB)

4 Likes

No, just a mouse and a good german beer :grin:

3 Likes

Same crop in b/w.
pr.30.min.later_02
pr.30.min.later_01.rw2.xmp (17.9 KB)

2 Likes

Nice and soft edit. I like it!

Nice Photo! I like that game of soft focus and colors.

pr.30.min.later_03

pr.30.min.later_02.rw2.xmp (43,3 KB)

1 Like