A foggy sunrise

Your lines were so straight in retouch; do you use a drawing pad?

Thanks for posting this very nice picture!
Here is my take using darktable.

pr.30.min.later.rw2.xmp (10.3 KB) pr.30.min.later_01

3 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.4.1
pr.30.min.later_full_size pr.30.min.later.rw2.xmp (16.0 KB)

5 Likes

As mentioned in the sidecar info: The overhead lines were removed using GIMP.

That depends a bit on your proficiency.

For me its a few minutes using GIMP. Could have done this using Krita but I’m not yet that proficient with its removal/reconstruct possibilities. Would have taken 2, probably 3 times longer. For my second shot (#15) the removal was done using Krita. Not as complicated as the first one, also took just a few minutes.

@Jean-Marc_Digne:

Nice crop, not at all what I had in mind when taking this shot but it definitely works!

1 Like

Does GIMP have a specific tool to do that? Not like retouch, but something that could take the lines out of the trees automatically?

No, removing stuff is almost always a multi step process if you want to do a good job. Even removing a relatively simple power line or vapor trail in a clear sky might need a bit of extra work for example (the gradient might be slightly off in the fixed part).

The brunt of the removal in the first shot was done using GIMP’s resynthesizer tool, which is a rather powerful tool, but it doesn’t do a perfect job. I had to go in with the Clone tool and the Healing tool to tidy up the trees and fix the sky gradient in some places.

The second shot was done with a combination of Krita’s Smart patch (“healing”) and Clone tool (in that order).

Depending on the situation you might also need to slightly blur/sharpen some of the parts that are “fixed” by the crop/heal/resynthesizer/patch tool(s) or even paint-in the missing parts yourself (some basic retouching).

1 Like

You do nice work!

1 Like

Wonderful atmosphere.
pr.30.min.later
pr.30.min.later.rw2.xmp (22.7 KB)

4 Likes

No, just a mouse and a good german beer :grin:

3 Likes

Same crop in b/w.
pr.30.min.later_02
pr.30.min.later_01.rw2.xmp (17.9 KB)

2 Likes

Nice and soft edit. I like it!

Nice Photo! I like that game of soft focus and colors.

pr.30.min.later_03

pr.30.min.later_02.rw2.xmp (43,3 KB)

1 Like

Another great walk! Really like all the different interpretations on this one.

pr.30.min.later

pr.30.min.later.rw2.xmp (38.3 KB)
dt 3.2.1

A chance to try the retouch module out. I am quite unfamiliar with it.

2 Likes

Yeah, the amount of different interpretations of both my contributions is rather impressive. Some very nice ones indeed and that even though many don’t come close to what it is I saw that morning… I love to see all these visions.

This is a really nice place to walk and enjoy the surroundings and watch nature do its thing. This particular area isn’t all that big, about a square kilometre (maybe 2) but it is situated just right.

There are plans to start building here though :angry: Protests and petition are ongoing, but I probably know how this will end up in the longer rub. My town doesn’t have anywhere to go, we’re completely surrounded by Delft, Den Haag, Voorburg and a few other towns.

BTW: This was a few days later. Roughly the same spot as my 30 min later shot above, 10 steps or so back and 30 degrees to the right:

1 Like

I kept my changes minimal in order to preserve the early morning mood. dt 3.4.1

pr.30.min.later

pr.30.min.later.rw2.xmp (7.2 KB)

2 Likes

Very nice ! I like the contrast of the hoarfrost and the warm morning light.

pr.30.min.later

pr.30.min.later.rw2.xmp (20.9 KB)

2 Likes

Does it have a name? Trying to locate it on Google Map.

This path doesn’t have a name, but I do have some coordinates for you (I don’t do Google): lat=52.03350 lon=4.34201

The shot was taken looking to the east and you can just see the wide ditch curve to the left at the very end.

The first image was shot from here: lat=52.03592 lon=4.34502

Also looking to the east.

1 Like

I’ve been studying your use of unbreak input profile with multiply. People are using multiply or other blend modes with many modules now, and I have no idea how to describe the effects so as to distinguish between using one or another. Only trial and error until one became proficient in choosing, I guess. The effect of unbreak w/o multiply is so drastic, how then did you imagine it would produce the effect it did with multiply?