A pleasant autumn day

It was too nice to stay inside, so I grabbed my camera and drove out of town a little way. Earlier in the day the sky was a nice mix of blue (well, as blue as Louisiana skies ever get) and well-defined but still wispy “mares tails” cirrus clouds (i.e., nice). By the time I got out the mares tails had degenerated into a high, very thin cirrus overcast that turned most of the sky almost white. Also, the lake was glassy smooth except when I pushed the shutter button… :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing hugely special, but this was shot with my Canon DSLR and a Ricoh Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 lens (manual) and processed in ART. I thought it might be interesting to see how others interpret the shot.

IMG_0591.CR3 (31.2 MB)
IMG_0591.CR3.arp (50.3 KB)
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

17 Likes

Your edit is so much better than mine, I just bailed out. :grimacing:

2 Likes

I probably over-edited it. Which speaks to a need for better exposure in the first place (or maybe better conditions rather than harsh midday sun)… :slight_smile:

1 Like

IMG_0591.CR3.xmp (14.4 KB)

Went hard on the crop here sorry, but we may as well make use of those megapixels.

Nice time of the year for photography up your way it seems! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize 24mp ranked that highly these days! :slight_smile: I tend to think of it as a moderate resolution sensor at best.

Depends if you’re thinking on a scale of what’s available vs what you actually need I think…

You can make beautiful, gigantic prints with 12 megapixels, but of course you wouldn’t want to crop into your images as hard as I have above.

I believe you underrate your sensor and what you can achieve with it. One of my current students has a 12MP full frame. I will take your 24MP over that camera any bright day. Maybe in the dark of night his larger individual photosites would capture more light, but the noise probably depends more on the vintage of the camera than photosite size.

Here is my interpretation of your shot inspired by your last landscape.

EDIT: I decided to use some bloom from the diffuse or sharpen module here, but the extent of the bloom was not correctly revealed until the exported image was uploaded.

IMG_0591.CR3.xmp (34.4 KB)

6 Likes

Lumna Invert set to overlay (duplicate layer) and a very subtle Retinex boost. Selectively cleaned the sky using wavelet denoise filter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really a nice one!
RT 5.9 dev, cropped a bit

IMG_0591_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (18.0 KB)

3 Likes

Nice shot! Here comes my interpretation:

IMG_0591.CR3.xmp (23.7 KB)

5 Likes

Nice shot

darktable 4.4.2

IMG_0591_01.CR3.xmp (20.9 KB)

5 Likes

My Version…

IMG_0591.CR3.xmp (15.6 KB)

5 Likes

My play in GIMP. Nothing special, just local adjustments to brightness, contrast and saturation.

3 Likes

IMG_0591.CR3.xmp (13.6 KB)

3 Likes

I’ve probably been watching too many YT photographers with their 45, 50, 100mp cameras. LOL If I had such a sensor, my computer would choke while processing their raw files!

My biggest frustration (or at least one one them) is that I almost always feel I’m trying to pull a rabbit from a hat when processing. It’s like the image, as shot, never seems capable of standing on its own. I never feel like I’ve actually captured a good image, so I have to spiff it up …

At any rate, thanks!

You came very close to how the sky looked in person. I was pleased with it earlier in the day but it took a turn for the worse by the time I got out. This kind of sky is unfortunately pretty common here – bright white overcast.

1 Like

Yeah, when I used the 50mm I knew it would need cropping. 70mm seems to look about right to my eye, depending on what’s emphasized.

My version…

IMG_0591.CR3.xmp (20.7 KB)

3 Likes

DT 4.5

Thanks for sharing, its a beautiful image

IMG_0591.CR3.xmp (19.5 KB)

5 Likes

my idea for this

A pleasant autumn day_IMG_0591.CR3.xmp (14.7 KB)

4 Likes