A soft pastel sky (6 shot panorama).

Had a location and the sort of shot I wanted in mind for a while now, but as always the weather needed to cooperate. It did this morning…

The sun, close to peaking above the horizon behind me, hasn’t shown itself yet. There’s this small window where the sun, even though not yet visible, paints the sky in front of it with these nice soft, pastel colours. The very localized fog banks are probably part of the reason why this is so.

I also thought that this might be a nice 6 shot panorama to play with. It is not often that the PlayRaw section offers a set of RAWs that can be used to play with Hugin (or whatever your aligner and stitcher might be). This one shouldn’t be all that difficult, though; White balance and exposure is the same across the images and they are shot from a tripod.

I’ll leave it up to those that want to have a go at this if they use all 6 or just a selection of the available RAWs.

Z62_2605.nef (27.7 MB)
Z62_2606.nef (27.6 MB)
Z62_2607.nef (27.6 MB)
Z62_2608.nef (27.6 MB)
Z62_2609.nef (27.6 MB)
Z62_2610.nef (27.6 MB)

For reference: These are from left (2605) to right (2610) with a 50% overlap and each image being 4040x6064. The original, stitched, image is 15461x6058. The above shown panorama is cropped to a 3:1 ratio (original being 13634x4545)

As always: Be creative.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

13 Likes

Z62_2605 - Z62_2610.tif.xmp (10.5 KB)

Nice shot(s) and good exercise… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Really my type image. But somehow I get a don’t-touch-a-thing vibe. Stiched and tiffed (~450Mb) with Affinity, then with darktable just a little more saturation, a little sharpen. That’s it.

Really nice shot!

2 Likes

I think the biggest challenge here is finding a section and crop that you like and not overdoing it with the saturation/colourfulness and sharpening (in general, not aimed at your edit :slight_smile: ).

About selecting a portion of the full stitch: I think that the left half would also be nice to isolate.

There’s something nice, though, about working with large files; It forces you to slow down a bit, having to navigate the image to get a good look and soke up the details you find. Affinity seems to be able to create a bit smaller stitch. Hugin spits out a ~650Mb TIFF when using all 6 images.

I think the biggest challenge here is that you presented a IMHO near perfect image that leaves little room for improvements. My crop is almost 100%. I trimmed off some very fine line from the stitching.

BTW, I had no speed issues. Affinity took its time for the panorama, but darktable was fine on my old i5 8Gb notebook.

My version…

Darktable & Hugin

Z62_2605 - Z62_2610.tif.xmp (5.8 KB)

I just went for one slice
popped shadows and sharpened gradient in Gimp/GMICqt

DT3.8.1 + former Kolor Autopano + DT3.8.1
method : https://discuss.pixls.us/t/hugin-pano-hdr-darktable-in-scene-referred/27087

exposure (+0.55), filmic (-8.29 <> +4.15, contrast 1.7, latitude 61%), diffuse or sharpen (dehaze 25 iterations)

1 Like

RT 5.8 → Hugin → RT 5.8

Z62B-3.jpg.out.pp3 (12.5 KB)

2 Likes

Z62_2607-pastel-landscape-V3.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)