a very nice improvement...

See in the latest release.
It is now possible to make adjustements directly from the node editor. This possibility is paticulary usefull in configurations with two monitors like shown in the screen copy joined:

Really great ! and i regret that dt (or ansel now) don’t offer this possibility…

However I don’t succeed to draw directly in the display screen (the left one) with the draw module. idem for the pick module.

3 Likes

good idea. i thought i wouldn’t port the on-canvas ui drawing, but it actually makes sense in node editor view. shouldn’t be hard to do.

Great new !!
Also oopsy :no_mouth: I tried to resize the view…

(and there’s still no program’s top title bar on ubuntu 20.04 :frowning: )

are you making this window larger or smaller? does it recover after you finish resizing?

top title bar: does this serve any purpose? my window manager doesn’t do these things so i don’t know what people usually use it for (or how to enable or disable it). until i understand why it’s needed i’m going to call it “unnecessary bloat” :smiley:

ubuntu 20.04! wow!

2 Likes

i’m making the window smaller.

Well, it’s useful to move the window’s app on the display or from one display to an other because vkdt opens on the wrong display, there’s also the button to close app. :person_shrugging:

I have another question about mask. I would like to use it with many modules (colour, zones, contrast, etc…).
I try to use the blend module but i don’t succeed. I don’t understand how to use the the back input. idem about the guided module i don’t understand what we do with guide input ?
thanks !

hmm to make things worse, i just changed the blend module to have proper blend modes in the first place. the draw block (updated now) contains an example how to use the masked over operator (see here) along with a guided filter. your graph could look something like this:

the guided module is optional, you could wire draw 01 directly into the mask channel of the blend 01 module. the guided filter is used to blur your brush strokes some more, matching the edges found in the input image. sometimes it works wonders, but it’s always slow. if you want something other than dodge/burn, you’d replace exposure 01 in this example by whatever have you. if you want to reuse the mask, wire draw 01 into as many blend modules as you have to.

Thanks for the explanation. I have reinstalled vkdt and tried it with the new blend module with the mode masked over, and now it works better (not worse! …). To simplify (in a first time ?) i have put the opacity in the blend module to 1 and i only modify the opacity in the mask module. In this case, the result waited is output = input - mask * (input - back). In the place where the mask is black (mask = 0), output = input and in the place where the mask is white (mask = 1), output = back. In the place where the mask is grey output = input - mask * (input - back). It’s for me more difficult to imagine the visual result.
Here is

an example for the fun ! Oh it would interesting to be able to invert mask.

more like output = mix(back, input, mask)

have to think about inverting the mask. you can always plug the inputs in reverse order input <-> back. i’ll probably extend the list of blend modes a bit in the future (only blend colour not lightness or whatever), so i don’t necessarily want to extend the list by all combinations of no mask/mask/inverted mask…

I have write a mistake: when i was talking about invert mask i was thinking to the draw module and i would say by example to have for this module an inverted output, or to have another module where the output is inverting the input .
What means `mix(back, input, mask)’ ?

ah, i was referring to https://docs.gl/sl4/mix (or see man mix)

but again, inverting the mask has the same effect as swapping the inputs in the following blend module, no?

I try it and yes for the module blend it’s the same effect:

but i think it could be more simple and useful to have a module for inverting input, by example for parametric mask (desaturated picture) combined or not with drawing masks.

And there are others modules that need mask.

I just see that it’s done now ! very useful and convenient ! thanks.

1 Like

i was also toying with the idea of placing all the controls inside the node directly (instead of in the right panel). like the geometry nodes in blender. might make the graph more bulky but everything more in one place. opinions?

1 Like

Hmm, the answer is not trivial. I think that in the darkroom mode the pipeline config tab is no longer useful and that the node editor is more than enough.
Regarding the tweaks, it’s necessary to have the picture on a large part of the screen. With two screen it’s easy to have on screen together the picture and nodes (one on each screen) but with only one screen it seem to be more difficult.
With one screen something like that for the darkroom mode could be more usable (and the tweak all tab not useful too):

I like the gimp dockable windows and tabs system and, if it is possible, it could be use for the configuration of the right panel.

With two screens, it is more possible but i fear for the precision of controls. Perhaps with a zoomable node editor windows or, better, with a popup windows opened by right click on the module.

might go full blown docking: https://github.com/ocornut/imgui/issues/2109 and let everybody configure their gui whichever way they want.

it should be easy to use…

Let’s not get too crazy

:innocent: Now, with the node editor,I really don’t use it any more ! and you ?

I don’t see the need to just get rid of it.

1 Like