A7RIII pixel shift and RT

My comments are for RT only and specifically Pixel Shift.

I believe that people should be praised in these kind of instances. We spend our lives being told what somebody did wrong.

When you guys are ready to review one vs two Gs in Pixel Shift, please holler. It would be nice to square that and PS further down the road.

RONC

1 Like

This is not standard FOSS

Honestly you generalized his statement by taking it out of context.

I agree with you about the other part of your comment.

1 Like

Files are at Filebin | f1ypcrrg8wl1r3f8.

Let me know if theyā€™ll work or if they need to be redone.

And tungsten samples are at https://filebin.net/5lbtz6cqnayo0e6w.

Thanks! I just played around with this for a while. Here are some thoughtsā€¦

I had to add the ARQ file type manually in the preferences to get the file browser to show ARQ files. But at least there was an option to do itā€¦ :slight_smile:

The motion correction is pretty amazing! Even if you have not tried to optimize parameters for the Sony, it looks great. I really didnā€™t see any issues at all.

It did take quite a lot of sharpening to get it to look like the Imaging Edge output. So the presumed resolution gains of PS still seem rather small.

I have the Dell 5K monitor (218ppi). To get the image to look the right 1:1 size, I had to use a zoom of 50%. Is the UI applying a 2x fudge factor for my monitor? This has the added disadvantage that I canā€™t see sharpening effects unless I zoom in to what is effectively 2:1 to me.

A requestā€¦ Itā€™s really slow to pan around at 1:1. It would be great if RT rendered the whole image at 1:1 and allowed instant panning. I have plenty of memory in my machineā€“and Lightroom does this. :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for making the special build so quickly. It looks like it will be easy for RT to support Sony pixel shift and motion correction.

1 Like

As a starting point for sharpening you can use the bundled PS ISO Low profile. Then tweak to taste.

grafik

Thanks for the tip. After some playing, Iā€™m liking that filter better than the unsharp mask.

Another gimmick is the possibility to use the median of all demosaiced frames instead of just one demosaiced frame for the parts with motion. You can use that to eliminate things which are at different positions in the frames or to get a long time exposure effect (especially with water).

I tried it with your 2 seconds waterfall image.

Left is using one frame for the parts with motion, right is using the median of 4 frames

2 Likes

Support for sony pixel shift arq files is merged into dev branch.

2 Likes

RawTherapee_dev_5.3-339-g62585bc4_WinVista_64.zip

uploaded at
https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds

1 Like

I just submitted an issue for this, here:
https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/issues/4241

Iā€™ve generated an ā€œunofficialā€ profile if people want to test it. The proper one will follow shortly.

1 Like

Iā€™ve installed the new build and Iā€™m not able to get it to see an ARQ file. Whatā€™s the trick?

@larryg perhaps you have to add the arq extension in preferences ā†’ file browser. this has been fixed recently but maybe the build was done beforeā€¦

@agriggio Thank you! That was it.

@agriggio

In the last build

RawTherapee_dev_5.3-361-g5ecb05ba_WinVista_64.exe

I donā€™t see the ARQ file extension :roll_eyes:

@agriggio wouldnā€™t ā€œ.arqā€ appear only if the options file was deleted? People updating from previous RT versions with an existing options file will not see ā€œ.arqā€

honestly, I donā€™t know :slight_smile:
Iā€™m sure the extension was added though (by @heckflosse iirc)

I had an older version installed. I both built from Dev and used RawTherapee_OSX_10.9_64_5.3-358-g0e9aab57. Neither automatically installed the ā€œ.arqā€ extension. I didnā€™t see code to add it in a quick scan through the changes in the PR, but Iā€™m not really familiar with the codebase.

Tested. @Morgan_Hardwood is right. ARQ appears with a new options file.

Itā€™s this commit, but as @Morgan_Hardwood already mentioned, itā€™s only included in new options file

1 Like