An Eerie Fog Rolled In...

We had a thick fog roll in last night just after dusk; I grabbed my camera and headed to a small water retention pond nearby. The pond has a series of wooden footbridges that have all seen better days; I’ve tried capturing them before, but this is the first time I’ve liked the results.

My attempt:

The DNG:
_img6450.dng (40.1 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

Have fun!

14 Likes

very inspiring image. love the bridge. thanks for the play!

_img6450.dng.cfg (3.4 KB)

5 Likes

My version…

_img6450.dng.xmp (14.3 KB)

11 Likes

_img6450.dng.xmp (25.6 KB)

10 Likes

My attempt with DT4.4.2

As the image was taken at 2030 at night - I tried to keep it dark and mysterious …

_img6450.dng.xmp (17.6 KB)

3 Likes

Hello,
A very nice shot, in bad weather I tend to forget my camera, you’re proving me wrong!
I tried to make a black and white version,

_img6450.dng.xmp (20.8 KB)
Darktable 4.5,

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

6 Likes

Rt. 5.9

_img6450.jpg.out.pp3 (13.6 KB)

_img6450-1.jpg.out.pp3 (13.8 KB)

_img6450.jpg.out.pp3 (13.6 KB)

1 Like

_img6450.dng.xmp (13.0 KB)

1 Like

This is an interesting shot. There are soooo many ways it can be taken, processing-wise. So many moods. Here’s mine, using ART 1.20.2.

_img6450.dng.arp (22.7 KB)

I tried to minimize (but not totally remove) the various color / temperature casts here and there. E.g., warm to the upper right. cool to the left. I added a little more contrast to the center and (through vignette and several gradients) darkened the edges in an attempt to focus attention and establish a “visual path” through the image. Dropped WB temp just a little to cool it off overall and obviously removed the warm overall color cast.

Nice shot!

8 Likes

_img6450.dng.xmp (26.9 KB)
I think this one would be a good candidate for BW conversion.
Did a perspective correction of the vertical lines and cropped out the lights in distance as they are a distraction (to me anyway).
Added a bit of local contrast to the foreground and just let the rest fade into the mist.

7 Likes

Great image to play with! Thanks for sharing. Here’s my version using DT 4.5 dev.

_img6450.dng.xmp (17.7 KB)

6 Likes

Thanks for the great work everyone!

I love that - I had a tough time brighening it enough without removing the fog effect.

Love it! Very gloomy (which it was while I was there.)

Very nicely done. I love the way you balanced the mix of sodium vapor street lights and the white LEDs coming from the left. The inluded WB was because I had the camera set to CTE (which shifts the WB away from white instead of towards it.) I think this is my favourite colour interpretation!

In reality those vertical lines are not actually vertical - that bridge lists rather dramatically (it’s interesting to walk on :slight_smile: ) I do like your B&W conversion, and your crop - the light from the freeway were distracting. I love the sense of depth you got by keeping the mist.

1 Like

Another creepy version :smiley:

_img6450.dng.xmp (15.8 KB)

4 Likes

thanks for posting
darktable 4.4.2

_img6450_03.dng.xmp (17.7 KB)

3 Likes

You had me at fog.

eerie-fog-rolled-in_img6450.dng.xmp (24.3 KB)
dt 4.4.2

2 Likes

Thanks for this play!
My try on it …

_img6450_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (17.0 KB)

2 Likes

Here’s my version:
_img6450.dng.xmp (9.8 KB)

Preview:

1 Like

Here I go trying for realism, again. If the photo was made after 10 PM, what was the light source? I just don’t really know what to do. I tried to stay pretty close to the “as shot” presentation.

dt 4.4.2

_img6450.dng.xmp (7.1 KB)

2 Likes

Another attempt:

_img6450.dng.xmp (21.4 KB)

3 Likes

ART 1.20.2
Greetings. Roberto

2 Likes