Arghhh.... Is it EVER gonna cool off?

That’s 93F for us non-metric types, forecast for today, tomorrow and the 13th. Freakin’ summertime temps in the middle of October. That’s five months of summer, so far.

And now there’s a hurricane brewing out in the Gulf of Mexico…

2 Likes

That’s horrible. You have my sympathies… Here we have been steadily around 25C-30C and even that is starting to become bothersome. I yearn for the cold :smiley: This is perhaps due to the el nino we are currently facing, the strongest on record.

1 Like

Thanks. And in all fairness we’re basically accustomed to this (it’s become the norm), we have AC, yada, yada… But it’s just getting old.

It usually means our minimal “autumn” will be even shorter if / when it finally arrives. I’m guessing maybe a month at most.

Just venting… :grimacing::grin:

2 Likes

Its 100F here with like 75% humidity. Disgusting.

2 Likes

Darn that’s harsh! Not sure if you tried it but an alternative to AC (which I don’t enjoy as it makes things too cold) is a dehumidifier. I actually use one to keep my equipment safe from fungus but it also makes the room much more comfortable for most people. (Not for me though, I seem to thrive in hot humidity for some weird reason.)

Usually it’s really dry here. It’s not really humid inside, as the AC takes care of that, but outside is nasty.

I had it in my mind to go downtown to shoot photos this summer, but its just been gross the whole time.

We’re in the rubberband season here. On Sept 1 the temps dropped considerably. It felt like summer was done in an instant. Then the temps went back up. Then down. Then up. It’s around 100F here this week, not too far off of normal, but next week is to be 90F and below I think. It happens every spring and summer that the temps rubberband like that, but it’s never not frustrating waiting for the weather to stabilize.

3 Likes

We’re finally getting some classic fall weather in the Washington DC region. The dog and I refuse to come inside

Hehe - topped at 14 degrees C here in Somerset today. First day of actually really wanting the warmth from the wood burner we now have :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@lphilpot I forget where exactly you are, but most of LA is supposed to be warmer and (a lot) wetter this fall and winter. So get used to it :wink:

@Dave22152 I agree…it has been wonderful recently. My local ponds/lakes are starting to have their early morning fog machines turned on! I am hoping we can get a little less wind than last year, because it ruined so many opportunities for thick fog.

1 Like

We have been having warm and cold spells lately. So a little unpredictable for deciding whether or not to wear a jacket. Not yet time to turn on the furnace in Canada.

we have had similar problems but they’ve gone away temporarily

Its true name…

2 Likes

Yep. And I’ve personally never heard anyone call it otherwise. I mean if we’re gonna rename it, let’s be truthful:

Gulf of Backwater
Gulf of Trash
Gulf of Oil Slicks
Gulf of I’m-The-Earth’s-Natural-Toilet
Gulf of Don’t-Drink-the-Water
Gulf of I’m-Not-Really-An-Ocean-But-Locals-Want-to-Pretend-I-Am
Gulf of Dead Dinosaurs

…just sayin’

3 Likes

Come to Alabama and west Florida. The Gulf is beautiful, here. But I agree, west of Alabama, it is mostly Ugh!

And, on the current weather, the hurricane has brought us cooler, fresher air. Soon to be wetter.

1 Like

That was July-August here, right around those numbers. Temperature was usually (but not always) slightly below 100 but humidity was 85%+ a lot of the time. As you described, nasty.

@AtaraxicShrug unfortunately after 67 years I’m used to it, but not definitely pleased with it… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We had one for years, in our master bedroom. It ran and ran, extracted gallons and gallons of water from the air. The three (?) gallon tank would fill completely after less than one dawn-to-dusk period, despite the central AC running at the time. But it also exhausted plenty of hot air into the room, countering the AC.

Plus one of “our” cats (technically belonged to our daughter but we hosted him for a while) perfected the art of hopping onto it and turning it on / off / “wrong” by treading on the buttons. More than once we were awakened by the beeping of buttons as the tomcat shuffled around on top of it.

We finally just capitulated and gave it away.

1 Like

@lphilpot and @JasonTheBirder you guys should swap houses.

2 Likes