ART new releases

Yes, confirmed. It should be backwards compatible

Thanks for the quick reply. And for the moment, it is backwards compatible. I did a couple of tests, and no problem.

I reinstall Art and can to say - now it’s ripe program and one is my preferred.

2 Likes

New release, 1.18.0. I normally don’t make announcements anymore, but this time I thought there’s one semi-new feature that might be interesting for someone other than myself. Since a few versions, ART can produce HDR output images when properly configured. In 1.18, I tried to make this easier, in two ways:

1. I added a new “HEIC (PQ HDR-TV 1000 nits)” output format plugin to the official ART-imageio repository, that should let you view the generated images on HDR-TVs that support heic stills. (I can confirm that it works on the TV that Santa just brought).

2. I included the official plugins in the windows installer, which should work out of the box with no additional setup needed by users.

4 Likes

Curious what TV did Santa ram down the chimney

Something I’ve noticed about the Windows installs, just FYI. I don’t know if this is something that can be “fixed” in the installer, but if not it’s not a show-stopper.

I install each new version of ART into the same folder: C:\Program Files\ART. I don’t keep separate versions, I’ve never had a need to do that. @agriggio is such a good programmer there are never bugs in the new versions! LOL :laughing: But anyway, I just upgrade each new version in place, specifying the same directory each time.

Each new version works fine but I noticed a side effect of upgrading in place: The previous entry isn’t removed from the installed programs list:

(This screenshot is of appwiz.cpl but I assume it’s reflected in the newer Settings app as well. I forgot to check before I fixed it.)

Since they both point to the same installation, removing the older one will (at least partially) uninstall the later version. That’s why 1.17.2 shows an install date of yesterday here – I uninstalled its predecessor and although it didn’t remove all 1.17.2 files, it wouldn’t launch afterward. Re-running the 1.17.2 installer fixed that.

So, the way to straighten it up is to remove the old installer key from the registry, not to run the previous uninstaller.

Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete the old key. NOTE: I always install for all users, so if you do a per-user install, this might (?) live under Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall instead.

I don’t know Inno Setup so I can’t say whether this is an easy fix or not. Once again, if not it’s no biggie since I now know what to do. Just wanted to pass it along.

Thanks for version 1.18.1, @agriggio - I installed it yesterday, and first impressions are very favourable.

A small request (which I hope wouldn’t require too much work :wink:)… would it be possible to provide the option to have the tabs (and also the preferences button, and the %-age indicator) at the top of the screen, when in Single Editor Tab mode, as it was in earlier releases? I find it less convenient at the left-hand side of the screen.

If this is possible, then thanks. If it’s not, then no problem. :smiley:

Hi,
I honestly don’t exactly remember why I removed that layout, but I seem to recall it was causing some issue, especially in combination with the new option to have the film strip at the bottom of the screen. So, restoring that could be problematic I’m afraid, sorry…

Ok, thanks. I’ll just have to get used to it! :grinning:

I’m using ART and now with version 1.8.1 it became my standard Raw developer. I’m using it on Windows and I used to have some crashes and performance issues and these are gone now (it could be my computer though…)
Alberto - Since I can’t donate anything (your FAQ says I can’t) the least I can do is say thank you for doing this. I’ve used RawTherapee (I’m getting better results now with ART, I’m not sure why but I get more details out of RCD+Bilinear with ART compared to RawTherapee, and my ART files have a bit more “depth” to them than the ones in RT). I’ve also used DarkTable (I can’t stand the file management and after 3.0 it just takes too long for me to get anything done).
Again, thank you very much for making this available. God bless you!
Christian

9 Likes

Very embarrassed to find I need to ask this question: where can I download a binary for the latest version of ART for Linux? I’ve read this forum from top to bottom, and done a google search on ‘ART’. By sheer luck I found a Windows binary at https://bitbucket.org/agriggio/art/downloads/ (I don’t know how I got there!) but there is no AppImage, only source code (compiling ART is beyond my understanding). I did find File Finder · GitHub - sadly, if it does contain an AppImage, it is beyond my ability to find it.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi,
this is the file you want: https://bitbucket.org/agriggio/art/downloads/ART-1.19.3-linux64.tar.xz. Just unpack it and run ./ART

HTH

Thank you for this help. Running the application reports the following error under Mint 21.1:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “xapp-gtk3-module”

I understand that this is a general error message and probably not specific to ART. The application starts and - within the limits of my knowledge - seems to execute correctly. Is there anything that I am missing by running the application with this error message posted ?

I also receive multiple copies of these two messages when processing a raw (.CR2) image previously edited with the AppImage version of RT 5.9:

(ART.bin:25523): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1: Entity did not end with a semicolon; most likely you used an ampersand character without intending to start an entity - escape ampersand as &

(ART.bin:25523): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to gtkmm__GtkHPaned 0x4b73c8ea430 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?

Is the first message saying that the 5.9 version of RT is writing an invalid .pp3 ? Line 1 of the image’s .pp3 is as follows:
[Version]

The ‘About’ information for the version of RT I am using is as follows:
Version: 5.9
Branch: 5.9
Commit: 9b8583988
Commit date: 2022-11-27
Compiler: cc 7.5.0
Processor: generic x86
System: Linux
Bit depth: 64 bits
Gtkmm: V3.22.2
Lensfun: V0.3.2.0
Build type: release
Build flags: -std=c++11 -mtune=generic -Werror=unused-label -Werror=delete-incomplete -fno-math-errno -Wno-attributes -Wall -Wuninitialized -Wcast-qual -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-unused-result -Wunused-macros -fopenmp -Werror=unknown-pragmas -O3 -DNDEBUG -ftree-vectorize
Link flags: -mtune=generic
OpenMP support: ON
MMAP support: ON
Build OS: Linux 5.4.0-1094-azure x86_64
Build date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 18:34:15 +0000 UTC
Build epoch: 1669574055
Build UUID: 2de227cc-698a-4f4c-87e5-0651b0fd79f7

If the app works, you can safely ignore the first and last message. The one about invalid markup is interesting, can you share the raw that causes it?
Thanks!

Certainly. I trust that I include the correct usage attribution rights

These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, NonCommercial, Share-Alike.

20230308_9Fx_Snow23_2080.CR2.arp (11.1 KB)
20230308_9Fx_Snow23_2080.CR2.pp3 (13.2 KB)
20230308_9Fx_Snow23_2080.CR2 (30.6 MB)

Thanks!

No need to stress much about that – a gentleman agreement is more than enough for me.

Stuff uploaded to the forum is Creative Commons licensed by default unless otherwise noted.

Hi,
I tried to reproduce but I didn’t see anything strange. Do you maybe also have an xmp sidecar that might be involved? Also, what language are you using for the GUI? English or something else?

Thanks!

Beg pardon; I should have uploaded the .xmp created by darktable 4.2.1. It should be attached now. I’m using English for the GUI,
20230308_9Fx_Snow23_2080.CR2.xmp (1.2 KB)

Hi @aggrigio,
I have encountered a strange problem with version 1.18.1, and with version 1.20.2 (which I have just recently installed).

There are frequent program crashes (usually at least once per editing session), and when a crash occurs, the ART program will not re-start. Task Manager shows that ART.exe only gets as far as becoming a background process, but even that disappears after a few seconds.

Once this has happened, the only way I have found to get ART to run is to re-boot. Once the computer has re-booted, ART starts and runs as normal… until the next crash. :confused:

Any suggestions? TIA.