ART new releases

It disables a specific optimisation that was known to produce wrong code for a specific GCC version. Apparently there are more versions affected (or maybe art and RT are relying on some undefined behaviour – also a possibility). I’ll add a check for this until the problem is properly identified. (Also ping @heckflosse)

1 Like

indeed the version of gcc is 11.1.0

Thanks for the explanation Alberto

Thank you very much guzzisti:

It works on 1.9.2 dev
Thank you!! :wink:

It’s not the same bug as in gcc 10.1, but it seems to be a similar bug. I couldn’t check RT with gcc >= 11 yet, but noone reported a problem with RT concerning this bug.

Edit: The code used to report the gcc 10.1 bug from here works fine with gcc 11.1

Thanks. In the meantime, I’m forcing -fno-tree-loop-vectorize for gcc >= 11 until this gets sorted out.

As soon as gcc 11 is available for msys2 I will try to nail the bug (if it also occurs in RT)

thanks for the great work!!!

I’ve just released 1.9.1 to fix a couple of glitches in 1.9

6 Likes

Hi @agriggio . We are in 1.9.3 now. I suppose that 1.9.2 et 1.9.3 are mostly for fixing glitches.

But I open a picture in 1.9.3 finished with 1.9.1 and I remarked that contrast (in Tone Curves) was x2 for the value. Is that normal ? Is it to be more precise ? And you confirm that it’s the old value x2 ? No change in the method ?

And last question, sorry, Is there any other changes in other tools ?

Thanks anyway for the hard work.

Yes, confirmed. It should be backwards compatible

Thanks for the quick reply. And for the moment, it is backwards compatible. I did a couple of tests, and no problem.

I reinstall Art and can to say - now it’s ripe program and one is my preferred.

2 Likes

New release, 1.18.0. I normally don’t make announcements anymore, but this time I thought there’s one semi-new feature that might be interesting for someone other than myself. Since a few versions, ART can produce HDR output images when properly configured. In 1.18, I tried to make this easier, in two ways:

1. I added a new “HEIC (PQ HDR-TV 1000 nits)” output format plugin to the official ART-imageio repository, that should let you view the generated images on HDR-TVs that support heic stills. (I can confirm that it works on the TV that Santa just brought).

2. I included the official plugins in the windows installer, which should work out of the box with no additional setup needed by users.

4 Likes

Curious what TV did Santa ram down the chimney

Something I’ve noticed about the Windows installs, just FYI. I don’t know if this is something that can be “fixed” in the installer, but if not it’s not a show-stopper.

I install each new version of ART into the same folder: C:\Program Files\ART. I don’t keep separate versions, I’ve never had a need to do that. @agriggio is such a good programmer there are never bugs in the new versions! LOL :laughing: But anyway, I just upgrade each new version in place, specifying the same directory each time.

Each new version works fine but I noticed a side effect of upgrading in place: The previous entry isn’t removed from the installed programs list:

(This screenshot is of appwiz.cpl but I assume it’s reflected in the newer Settings app as well. I forgot to check before I fixed it.)

Since they both point to the same installation, removing the older one will (at least partially) uninstall the later version. That’s why 1.17.2 shows an install date of yesterday here – I uninstalled its predecessor and although it didn’t remove all 1.17.2 files, it wouldn’t launch afterward. Re-running the 1.17.2 installer fixed that.

So, the way to straighten it up is to remove the old installer key from the registry, not to run the previous uninstaller.

Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete the old key. NOTE: I always install for all users, so if you do a per-user install, this might (?) live under Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall instead.

I don’t know Inno Setup so I can’t say whether this is an easy fix or not. Once again, if not it’s no biggie since I now know what to do. Just wanted to pass it along.

Thanks for version 1.18.1, @agriggio - I installed it yesterday, and first impressions are very favourable.

A small request (which I hope wouldn’t require too much work :wink:)… would it be possible to provide the option to have the tabs (and also the preferences button, and the %-age indicator) at the top of the screen, when in Single Editor Tab mode, as it was in earlier releases? I find it less convenient at the left-hand side of the screen.

If this is possible, then thanks. If it’s not, then no problem. :smiley:

Hi,
I honestly don’t exactly remember why I removed that layout, but I seem to recall it was causing some issue, especially in combination with the new option to have the film strip at the bottom of the screen. So, restoring that could be problematic I’m afraid, sorry…

Ok, thanks. I’ll just have to get used to it! :grinning:

I’m using ART and now with version 1.8.1 it became my standard Raw developer. I’m using it on Windows and I used to have some crashes and performance issues and these are gone now (it could be my computer though…)
Alberto - Since I can’t donate anything (your FAQ says I can’t) the least I can do is say thank you for doing this. I’ve used RawTherapee (I’m getting better results now with ART, I’m not sure why but I get more details out of RCD+Bilinear with ART compared to RawTherapee, and my ART files have a bit more “depth” to them than the ones in RT). I’ve also used DarkTable (I can’t stand the file management and after 3.0 it just takes too long for me to get anything done).
Again, thank you very much for making this available. God bless you!
Christian

9 Likes

Very embarrassed to find I need to ask this question: where can I download a binary for the latest version of ART for Linux? I’ve read this forum from top to bottom, and done a google search on ‘ART’. By sheer luck I found a Windows binary at https://bitbucket.org/agriggio/art/downloads/ (I don’t know how I got there!) but there is no AppImage, only source code (compiling ART is beyond my understanding). I did find File Finder · GitHub - sadly, if it does contain an AppImage, it is beyond my ability to find it.

What am I doing wrong?