ART v1.0 is out

Anyone build a macOS image just yet? I was toying with building RT from source and was able to build (a non working) build. I think I might give it a shot and see what I can do. Would be fun to start hacking on RT/Art.

@HIRAM offered to try, but I’m sure he won’t mind some help :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Dariusz_Duma @agriggio
I tried the deb package on Kde Neon 18.04, all is OK.
:+1: :+1:

1 Like

It goes beyond my poor computer skills. Thanx a lot

Sorry. Somebody using LInux can surely help you to locate the option file.

1 Like

Will be having a look at the build this evening, shouldn’t be anything major.

Not in front of my computer now, but the options file on linux should be under /home/{user}/.config/ART or something close.

If you don’t see the .config folder it’s because it is hidden, tell your file manager to show hidden files and directories.
Then open the options file with your favorite text editor and proceed as @gaaned92 said.

Thank you Sébastien. I found it and modified it but it didn’t work. So, I think that the problem come from the whole system because I’ve got darktable on the same computer and it works well.

Can you elaborate? What “didn’t work” exactly?

The lens correction module either remained empty in “manual” mode, or it did not “see” all the objectives supposed to be in the file. While darktable version official repositories, which is installed on this same computer, displays these lenses. Note that rawtherapee (5.8) follows ART’s behavior on this subject.
I will change distribution in order to start on a good basis.

Dear Macintosh users,
Please have a test of this new build.

https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/ART_OSX_10.9_64_1.0-31-g431086649.zip

The associated PR:

https://bitbucket.org/agriggio/art/pull-requests/3/macos-app-bundle/diff

macOS Installation Instructions

To install {\color{red}{A}\color{orange}{R}\color{green}{T}}, download the build and open the .dmg file, then drag the {\color{magenta}{A}\color{cyan}{R}\color{yellow}{T}} app onto the Applications folder.

• Attention macOS 10.15 Catalina users: {\color{lightgreen}{A}\color{violet}{R}\color{darkorange}{T}} needs to be “authorized” to allow it to open photographs on your disk. To authorize it:

1. Click “Go” > “Go to Folder…⇧⌘G” (Command-Shift-G), and go to /bin
    2. Drag sh into the “Full Disk Access” pane under the “Privacy” tab in the “Security & Privacy” control panel in “Apple menu” > “System Preferences”.
3 Likes

@mickabailly I don’t yet give up . It should work.

• I understand that you modified the lensfun db path in option file but it doesn’t work with your photos.

• can you provide your camera and lens name as they appear in the info panel in the edotor?

• Is it working with other brands and lenses. try download some playraw raw and see if it works.

• Lensfuns DB comes in two flavors, version_1 and version_2.
    It could be that ART and RT are waiting for version_2 DB while you have version_1 installed.
    Could you download a version_2 , unzip it somewhere, set DBDirectory accordingly and test?

Thanks for your advices. I have since reinstalled Manjaro and my home and everything is back to normal.
My pc works in double-boot. I had copy / paste the lensfun folder of ART under Windows in Linux Mint.
But before, I had tried lensfun updates with the lensfun-update-data commands. I think it must have made a nice mess in the files.

Hello, I wrote a little introduction to ART. It compares the different modules with those of RawTherapee (just screenshots), the new way to expose a raw and a first dive into those intuitive :slight_smile: local masks.

You’re welcome at ART - intro.

Regards, Paul.

10 Likes

Thanks a lot for doing this! There are a few glitches here and there in the masking part, but overall that’s a great job! If you don’t mind I’ll add a link from ART’s home page, and send you a couple of corrections for the masking part. Thanks again!

1 Like

So, here are a couple:

• Besides DeltaE and Area, there are 4 more kinds of (parametric) masks: H, C and L which you control with curves, and the contrast mask that you control with a slider. I think you call these “equalizers” in the tutorial, but that might be misleading: you don’t need to define any area or deltaE mask to use them.

• The contrast threshold mask is the same as what you find in RT’s capture sharpening or dual demosaic, i.e. it generates a mask based on (local) contrast around pixles. In ART you can also specify negative values, which means that the selection will be inverted. Example:

• if you want to manipulate the mask contrast (instead of manipulating the contrast mask, sorry for the pun :slight_smile:, you can use the dedicated area mask curve:

• You don’t need to add a new shape in “intersect” mode to select a particular area, you can simply edit the existing predefined shape (which covers the full image) by clicking on the “Edit current shape” button instead of the “Add new shape” one:
    Screenshot from 2020-02-09 19.34.23

I think that’s it, thanks once again!

2 Likes

Thanks Alberto, that’s enough input for a follow-up article describing masks in more detail (that was already planned).
Regards.

1 Like

Very cool! It’s better ! :wink:

1 Like

Hi everybody, I would like to point out that @carafife is the author of 3 tutorial videos of Art. They are extraordinary pedagogical tools to apprehend the software, and in French language. It happens here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQbXCECU6s

Thanks a lot @carafife

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for the macOS build. Just got my hands on it tonight and so far it is running fine (macOS 10.14.6, 2016 MBP). Right off the bat I notice ART loads up a lot quicker than RawTherapee 5.8. Clicking around, processing some images, testing out features all looks to be running well so far. I did notice the capture sharpening from RT5.8 did not make it over, but at least my snapshots are now persistent after opening files.

I’ll continue to test and report back anything I may notice.