ART v1.0 is out

Started having an issue when using the DeltaE tool. When applying the color picker to an area in an image, the program has started closing unexpectedly. I tried rebooting the computer and re-installing the files, but I’m still having the issue. The tool worked correctly for the past couple days after the first installation until today. I’m using the ART_master-win64-1.0 package.

Update: I started noticing the issue with DeltaE after I started playing with the Log Encoding tool and then using the DeltaE tool with the same image. If I start with a fresh image, the DeltaE works. It seems to begin acting unusual in combination with Log Encoding, even if I later disable Log Encoding in the same image.

This is why I love FOSS. You’ve got an amazing piece of software from @agriggio and then @paulmatth writes some content that will help new users - all out of sheer enthusiasm, not because it’s a job or for profit.

I learned ART from previous knowledge of RT and then by good old trial and error, but I always love to read and watch other people’s guides because you always learn something new. Looking forward to your future guides on masks.

hi @rtu2000, would you be able to share (maybe just privately if that helps) a raw+arp that shows the problem? thanks!

Thanks a lot @carafife! I’ve added a link to your tutorials to the home page.

Hi @agriggio
Just a small something that might confuse.
After resizing, when you hover over the Post-Resize Sharpening tab, it says
" Sharpens the image after resizing. Only works when the “Laczos” resizing method is used".
No Method box in ART.

@agriggio. I can copy area masks to the clipboard to paste and use in another Local module. DeltaE masks do not offer this possibility, if I’m not mistaken. Any reason for this ?

Thank you very much @agriggio. maybe you could put the link of the whole playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZOdZMT41b7Wr4aPKpQutXQY9ImTl_N1J

2 Likes

@agriggio @gaaned92 where exactly should I put exiftool.exe in the bundle? You mention the “bin subdir” but then I see that the InnoSetup configuration assumes that exiftool.exe should be found in the root folder of the bundle, together with ART.exe…

My fault! You should put it in root dir where art.exe is located

1 Like

@agriggio @gaaned92 I have generated new packages with the latest exiftool version: Release Continuous build · aferrero2707/art-win64 · GitHub

Could you please check if it works as expected?

The AppImage case might be trickier…

1 Like

done!

Thank you very much @agriggio! :wink:

@agriggio would you be interested in keeping a flatpak manifest and a few necessary files in your source tree? RT is already a flatpak, so modifying the manifest should be easy.

I have no problem accepting this as a contribution, though I’ve never used a flatpak so I will be of no help I’m afraid…

copying a deltaE mask between different tools might give unexpected results, because the tools are in different places in the pipeline, so the same deltaE settings might generate different masks. Example:

As you can see, the sliders have identical values, but the results are quite different…

1 Like

Thanks Alberto, that’s clear.

@agriggio When I start ART (the dev version from last evening, self compiled, on Windows 10) from the command line I always get a ‘Cannot load DCP profile’ (or similar) text in the console for my Fuji X-T2 files.
Is this something bad? :slight_smile:

If you see something like this:

Unable to load DCP profile '/path/to/filename.raf'

then it’s perfectly normal: ART tries to see whether there is an embedded DCP profile in the raw itself, and simply fails. This is used in the GUI to enable the “embedded” choice in the color management parameters (DNG files do have an embedded DCP usually). I agree that the message is misleading, I will kill it. Thanks for spotting!

1 Like

I love that ART gives pretty good images if dynamic profiles enabled using the Auto Match curve. But sometimes in direct sunlit scenes this curve gives too much contrast and blown highlights. Is there a simple and reliable way to reduce the curve strength so to speak? Manually moving the numerous curve points is beyond my skill and laziness threshold. I can reduce Exposure and/or apply Dynamic compression, but it feels too complicated - first too much of a curve and then try to fix it with other tools. Using a less aggressive curve and no other tools would be more natural to me.

If I use .dcp profiles from Adobe with embedded curve I can select the Portrait profile and it reduces the contrast compared to Vivid, Standard and Landscape ones. Is it possible to do something similar with the Auto Match curve?

I use Standard picture mode in my Nikon Z6, maybe I should change it to Portrait? Then the Auto Match curve will be gentler, right?

Auto matched tone curve comes from the embedded jpeg in your raw file. Is the embedded jpeg blown out?