ART version 1.0 release candidate 1

I never do that, but I don’t think it hurts…

If building for own use, why not use -march=native?

2 Likes

Tried, now it’s as fast as Raw Therapee.

Found out that when editing a picture (xtrans) using a detail view and playing with defrige curves, i get some strange refresh problems in the detail view.

This also happens with hsl equalizer, curves, and maybe every other setting.

Mixed thoughts:

The interface is much easier with a lot of tools removed. Most of them were overkill for me, but not all of them…

In particular, i think i miss:

Capture sharpening and especially corner boost radius for sharpening
CC curve (chrominance by chrominance)
final touch up in wavelets

I haven’t found a way to modify size of masks with corners, only with sides. And how to turn a rectangle into an ellipse. For what i remember, darktable was much more intuitive. A video tutorial on youtube could help.

Why the default output color space is not plain sRGB (this affects also rt).

Anyway looks really promising, thank you for all the work!!!

I always used the instructions from RawPedia to compile ART :smiley: (of course, ignoring the part to checkout RT sources) Windows - RawPedia

Until now all works fine…

1 Like

Hi,

can you provide more details? (or maybe file a bug report)?

I just uploaded a couple of screencasts, let me know if they are helpful.

Thanks for the feedback!

@agriggio I observed the same issues while running ART: changing adjusters sometimes leads to a really annoying flickering which I don’t get using RT

thanks for confirming, but this is hardly a bug report, isn’t it? :wink: does it always happen? if not, under which circumstances? thanks!

When adjusting for example exposure compensation I get first (for a short time) the blocky panning background before I get the full resolution (zoom to >= 100% for better observation)

There’s indeed something weird going. I don’t see any particular glitches, but demosaicing performance (at least on xtrans files) seems very low compared to RT. I’ll try to make a screencast to show the difference.

I can’t reproduce, sorry… I tried both on windows and Linux, same thing

Ok, scratch what I wrote earlier. I deleted the config folder to start from zero, and now the performance is on par with that of RT. Sorry for the noise.

I attach a video showing redrawing artifacts in detail views.

vokoscreen-2020-01-08_23-11-09.mkv (2.5 MB)

I took only a fast look at the first video… but i think a written text could be fine together with the video. Especially to inform an user what is it possible to do with those masks.

e.g. i think it could interesting to to make the sky darker (i haven’t understood how), to add blue to the sky (color correction seems it could do it), to use more noise reduction on the sky or on “uniform” areas compared to the whole image (i haven’t found out how). To make a face softer (smoothing seems the tool). To use an S curve on the eyes (i haven’t found out how). Or to remove a bit of dirt on the sensor (the same). I still have to find out what is possible i think some
example in the manual or in the front page could be interesting.

Thanks for the video. It’s the same thing @heckflosse is experiencing, but unfortunately I haven’t been able to reproduce this here. Until I succeed, there’s not much I can do…

And I agree with you, it would be nice to have a written manual – if only there was someone willing to write it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But briefly:

to make the sky darker

color correction with a proper mask

to use more noise reduction on the sky or on “uniform” areas compared to the whole image

denoise with detail threshold, or smoothing with a proper mask

To make a face softer

decrease local contrast

Or to remove a bit of dirt on the sensor

this is currently missing. Smoothing can sort of work, but it’s not quite meant for that. GIMP is better in this case.

1 Like

Strange saturation curve. When I tried to reset a saturation curve I obtained a “S” curveScreenshot_20200109_101551
That’s was not the case in previous versions. Do I have a wrong config file somewhere ?
Thanks for your suggestions.
SM

It’s my mistake, sorry. Will be fixed soon. Thanks for reporting!

That’s really the utility of a RC :blush:

Hi,

I finally managed to reproduce this, and I think I have fixed it now.

3 Likes

Fix confirmed.

1 Like

Better practice would be:

mkdir build
  cd build
  cmake ..

etc.

2 Likes

I have just tried with a m43 picture, and i have found out that lens-camera combo isn’t recognized, whilst on Raw Therapee 5.7 is.

Here a sample: https://we.tl/t-jNLI2PDnRC

@agriggio thank you for all the explanation!
@jtappin i have already compiled next version it the way you suggested, thank you!