Backlit tree with difficult colours

Good day.

I’m not sure about the colours in this image.
What would you do with it ?

This file is licensed [By-Attribution]

_MG_7830.CR2 (22.0 MB) _MG_7830.CR2.pp3 (11.8 KB)

10 Likes

my take (with ART):

Thanks for sharing!

10 Likes

DT 3.2.1

_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (13,8 KB)

This is how I see it. Done with RawTherapee 5.8

_MG_7830.CR2.pp3 (12.8 KB)

4 Likes

@corneel_van_maele, welcome to the forum! Impressive shot. In German trees which bent likes this are called “Windflüchter” (something that takes flight from the wind) .

My version:

_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (15.4 KB)

2 Likes

Nice pic! I have a screenshot from my work in progress. In darktable, I assume the top dotted purple line is the point at which the mask transition ends. Can anyone tell me how to bring that line closer to the centre point? I want a gradient mask that affects the foreground and not the highlight in the sky. The current mask in this screenshot doesn’t achieve that. I should be able to drag it down to right about where the tip of the arrow is now. Is that possible?

1 Like

Shift & mouse wheel

With Filmulator:

• Highlight Recovery 2
  • Temperature 6500 (to warm the image)
  • Exposure Comp -1/3
  • Shadow Rolloff 0.008 (to darken the blacks)
  • Slightly reduced film area
  • Drama 100
  • White Clipping Point 0.7
  • Shadow Brightness 566 (to raise the midtones)
  • Highlight Brightness 1000 (to crisp up the brightest highlights)
8 Likes

Thanks very much. The command works just as you said, but why then is it still affecting the sky highlight, which is now outside the mask area?

Bottom image shows module off, and how the highlight should look. Middle image shows module on, top image shows mask lines. Despite being outside the mask area, the highlight in middle image is clearly different to the bottom, thus being affected by the module. Is it a bug, or is there another trick?

Photoflow:

_MG_7830.jpg.pfi (29.7 KB)

1 Like

I am not sure. There is a change in behaviour in newer darktable versions. To get better control, I set mask opacity to 0.95 and mask contrast to 0.

Thanks. It must be some bug. I just turned the highlight reconstruction module off and on, and it is working properly now.

Done!

_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (101.8 KB)

darktable 3.2.1

2 Likes

Rawtherapee and gimp
_MG_7830.CR2.pp3 (14.4 KB)

Thanks for sharing and welcome!

_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (11.8 KB)

2 Likes

Welcome to Pixls.us!

I really like the threatening clouds and the sun breaking thru (or is about to be extinguished?), so I focused on that and made it a bit more prominent:

backlit.tree.cr2.xmp (16.5 KB) darktable 3.2.1

Thanks for sharing this nice shot!

4 Likes

_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (11.7 KB) _MG_7830_01.CR2.xmp (12.1 KB)

6 Likes

It was the last moment of sun that day :slight_smile:

@corneel_van_maele Welcome to the forum! Good first post. I like your style. :sunny:

1 Like

My take, DT 3.3
_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (14.2 KB)

3 Likes