Backlit tree with difficult colours

You should do one of your YouTube videos on your method for this photo!

ART parameters embedded

1 Like

_MG_7830-2.jpg.out.pp3 (14,2 KB)

1 Like

Inspired by @s7habo, I took photoflow and came up with this:

_MG_7830_dramatic.pfi (56.2 KB)

1 Like

Dt
_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (12.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks @afre.

Very interesting shot @corneel_van_maele, I went for some painterly style on this one with RT 5.8.
_MG_7830.jpg.out.pp3 (12.4 KB)

1 Like

Beautiful shot and I think @agriggio already pretty much nailed the processing on it. Here is a slightly different take in portrait.

Portrait orientation allowed me to get rid of the distracting bush on the right but cost a lot of really pretty sky. I think at least for the portrait crop I would have shot a bit lower to compress the foreground and move the diagonal of the hill up the stem just a bit more maybe I’d also a step to the right to create just a bit more distance between the sun and the tree.

_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (26.6 KB)

8 Likes

Dt 3.2.1 _MG_7830.CR2.xmp (10.7 KB)

1 Like

This is my first attempt at Play Raw. I feel like I cheated a little bit with a 3dLUT, but it’s at reduced opacity.

_MG_7830_01.CR2.xmp (15.6 KB)

Edit: I originally uploaded the LUT, but on reflection, I realized it would be better to link the page I found it on, instead of posting something that wasn’t mine. I used the “Velvia” one.

hah, nice. looks exactly like

2 Likes

Ah, I think I know what you mean: the tree as a symbol of life and the dramatic sky as divine light.
Where did you find this pic? I think it’s not the official poster of the movie. Is it a still form the movie?
Btw: it is a really interesting question where this motif/subject comes from. I am sure that is this not one of the oldest depictions of a tree with a dramatic sky but I am annoyed that I did not find a much older example in the net since yesterday evening. It would probably require at least some days research in libraries.
There is this but it’s not quite the same:
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/354633

@Jonas_Wagner did you know the pic hanatos shared? Or another similar pic that inspired you?

Nice shot! Here’s my take:

_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (33.6 KB)

1 Like

@betazoid I did not have any photo in mind in that case. Just tried to get a pleasing composition (to my eyes anyways), deal with the dynamic range and to bring out the color contrast a bit. So I guess the similarity is a bit of coincidence.

1 Like

hm i just know it as a poster that was hanging in our hallway at work. i think it may be on the cover of the soundtrack?

I love your take on this, but what did you do in Gimp before taking this into Darktable? When I load your Darktable sidecar file, the image comes out very over exposed for me.

Thanks @pulck!

In GIMP I first used GMI’C filter “impaint (multi-scale)” filter to “recreate” overexposed area and then with brush done some dodging and burning using a transparent layer with soft light blend mode.

1 Like

Thanks @s7habo. I’ll look into those.

I have been playing a little with ART lately and this was one of the practice images:

_MG_7830_ART.jpg.out.arp (17.0 KB)

I then added some more atmosphere in Gimp:

2 Likes

This is my interpretation:

_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (14.2 KB, dt 3.3)

Adding grain and LUT3D can result in very dystopian scenes:

@Jonas_Wagner
What prompted you to change filmic middle grey luminance from 18.45 to 9.23?

2 Likes