Backlit tree with difficult colours

Thanks @pulck!

In GIMP I first used GMI’C filter “impaint (multi-scale)” filter to “recreate” overexposed area and then with brush done some dodging and burning using a transparent layer with soft light blend mode.

1 Like

Thanks @s7habo. I’ll look into those.

I have been playing a little with ART lately and this was one of the practice images:

_MG_7830_ART.jpg.out.arp (17.0 KB)

I then added some more atmosphere in Gimp:

2 Likes

This is my interpretation:

_MG_7830.CR2.xmp (14.2 KB, dt 3.3)

Adding grain and LUT3D can result in very dystopian scenes:

@Jonas_Wagner
What prompted you to change filmic middle grey luminance from 18.45 to 9.23?

2 Likes

Amazing pic! Had fun playing with filmic on this one.

_MG_7830_03.CR2.xmp (11.5 KB)

I noticed if I pushed filmic too hard, it showed a rainbow type effect around the sun!

1 Like

I asked this because I thought this change was extremely helpful in controlling the bright highlight in the center.

Here’s my approach:

Backlit tree .xmp (74.0 KB) dt3.3

There were several spots on the lens, and I removed a couple with retouch. I have watched the Bruce Williams video on retouch, and I have used it with GIMP. It seems to take many more masks to get, to me, satisfactory results in dt than with GIMP. In fact, it seems to not work as well now as I remember it in the past. Am I not using it correctly?

ART second trial, can be considered excessive
edit: a few spots removal

3 Likes

backlit.tree.pp3 (20.9 KB) RawTherapee (Latest development version)

I’m working on my RawTherapee skills and thought this one deserved a try. Really nice one to give the RT modules a try and see what they can do (or more realisticly: What I am capable of doing with them atm…).

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. I don’t remember why I did that. To be honest I don’t even know what it exactly does. I guess it was just convenient to choose where middle gray lies rather than moving the white & black points. I need to learn more about the exact workings of the filmic rgb module some day. :slight_smile: