Backup more than one card

Hi, please, wouldn’t be possible to work with more than one card? Like to plug-in a usb hub with more connected cards and to process them in a queue with random order. I usually need backup of more devices and this way to do that would be really great :slight_smile: .

In theory it’s possible. In practice, that would require major changes in code, and it would most likely make the system more error-prone.

Kind regards,
Dmitri

Don’t you have any idea for a workaround? Just to connect all the cards before sleep and have everything ready in the morning… :slight_smile:

As I said, there is no workaround. You’d need to change large parts of the code.

Hi, here is my simple hardcoded version of backup for 2 cards with oled support (from the experimental branch).

it’s a bit different logic. Anyway, it works as I wanted.

1 Like

And the progress for oled in the experimental branch is really slow, if there are a lot of files and almost everything is already synced. I have updated the code to repaint the oled just every 2 seconds and tested it. It’s pretty fast, almost the same speed as without oled

timestamp=$(date +%s)

while IFS=$'\n' read -r -d $'\r' -a pieces; do

for piece in "${pieces[@]}"; do
		case $piece in
		  "sending incremental file list") continue ;;
		  [[:space:]]*)
			read -r size pct rate time <<<"$piece"
			cTimestamp=$(date +%s)
		dif=$(($cTimestamp - $timestamp))
			if [ $dif -gt 0 ]; then
				oled r
				oled +b "Backup progress:"
				oled +c "$pct - $rate"
				oled +d "Storage: $storsize"
				sudo oled s
				timestamp=$(date +%s)
				let "timestamp=timestamp+2"
			fi
			;;
		  *) filename=$piece;  ;;
		esac
	  done
	done
1 Like

Thanks.

That code was a bit of a bodge by me. Would be great to get it in to the release version.

Currently looking at adding some code to create a contact sheet for each directory of images/video but am waiting to get a slightly better SBC in the mail to make it a bit faster.

Sorry, guys! Integrating the progress feature has been on my todo list for quite a while. But there is always something that comes in the way. I really appreciate your work. Rest assured I fully intend to add your code to Little Backup Box. Thank you for your help and patience!

Kind regards,
Dmitri

Just fyi I’ve added support of unlimited number of cards to the fork GitHub - nickelsound/little-backup-box: Raspberry Pi-based backup device for photographers

2 Likes

great Jop!! but one question… how can i install your version?

You can use the description on the project webpage

Hi @dmpop , just a question, it seems that my fork offers something what are people looking for. The feedback to it seems promising. Don’t you want to try to look at it and merge it? It’s a pity that it is split. It is confusing for users.
Here is how it works with more cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2FMxymx5M

1 Like

First of all, thank you for your work, Pavel! I’m still debating with myself whether I want this functionality. Direct merge probably wouldn’t be possible, and I’m really don’t have a lot of spare time at the moment.

Personally, I see no problem in having two parallel versions. I think confusion can be avoided if you rename your fork to something different. Little Backup Box Advanced, perhaps? :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Dmitri