Best way to install a current darktable build on Linux/Manjaro?

Hi! I mainly run Manjaro Plasma. I’ve always stayed on the latest stable release. Sigmoid and the new segmentation based highlight recovery has made me impatient and I guess I want to run darktable master to get access to these niceties.

On my ARM Mac it’s easy. I just download the app bundle and drag it to my Applications folder. I really wish there was an AppImage or Flatpak for current builds on Linux.

What would be the best way to install a current build on Manjaro? Should I get darktable-git from the AUR? Can it be run side by side with 4.0.1 from the community repository?

yay darktable-git

You should be able to run both but you will have to specify the library from the command line.

I have no idea if it can be run side-by-side as you suggest but I am running the current version of Manjaro/Arch/XFCE and am using the git versions of dt … I do it with complete confidence and have used this version for several years without any hiccups on 3 systems.
I do update on a regular basis … it takes about 15 minutes on my systems.
I, at this point, do not see the downside.

Thanks! Would that also load presets and config related only to the git/master?

Sounds promising. And no features that are in darktable-git in AUR should be removed when any of the two stable releases, that are made every year, arrive?

I’m on windows so not 100% sure how applicable this is, but yes, if you tell dt when starting to use a different config folder, everything will be separate. You can specify a separate cache as well I think. See here - darktable 4.0 user manual - darktable
What I’ve done in the past is copy my current folder to new location, then tell the new/experimental/whatever dt version to use that one. Thnat wasy I get all my presets and so on, but it’s still separate so I can run both at the same time.

Thanks! Will try:

--library $HOME/.config/darktable-git/library.db --configdir $HOME/.config/darktable-git/ --cachedir $HOME/.cache/darktable-git/

Looks good I think, except I’ve no idea about the Linux folder structure… hope it works :wink: