Better color rendering?

my version - maybe sharpened it a little more than usual (using contrast equaliser) but the stamen seemed pretty soft? i pretty much used my standard process (i shoot a lot of flowers - was taking some of the peonies in my garden just this morning ; )

_DSF5730.RAF.xmp (35.0 KB)

2 Likes

_DSF5730.RAF.xmp (36,1 Ko)

darktable 3.7 with diffusion module (not yet merged).

6 Likes

@aurelienpierre - damn i was quite pleased with mine until you came along with your new and improved 3.7 version : ) :slight_smile: i like the colours in mine but you squeezed out a lot more definition - nice job!

1 Like

We’ll have shiny new toys under the Christmas tree :slight_smile:

2 Likes

just right (to my taste) ! can you reproduce basically the same with 3.4.1 and post the xmp ?

No, I can’t, sorry. The code necessary to do it is not in 3.4.

Noticed this…

1 Like

the horror ! my fatal enemy…

3 Likes

Some versions of my edit had it…it was the sharpen module or contrast eq I forget but I did get rid of it…mine was much darker…almost black

8 Likes

here :

_DSF5730.RAF.xmp (41,0 Ko)

1 Like

When will the diffuse module get merged do you think?? Soon after 3.6??

If it is related to Possibly a new deconvolution module for Darktable, then it may still take a while. I think the time spent is trying to get it to be fast enough for practical use.

AP why dithering for this image and you modified the defaults to random and -60db…what guides that decision and setting?? Just curious

Perhaps, the dithering is meant to prevent detail loss due to compression… (It isn’t my intention to speak for AP. Sometimes guessing is fun.)

I was struck by the simplicity of this process … and the fine (very fine) result.

Diffuse module will likely be for darktable 3.8 now. Christmas. It has an openCL implementation now so it’s fast enough to be useable.

It’s ready for merging, so as soon as @Pascal_Obry finds time.

Well, it’s related from the feature point of view, but the machinery is different, relies on fewer assumptions , is more generic and a tad faster.

Because it looks good and prevents banding in gradients once converted to JPEG.

That’s what doing the right thing in the right color space can do for you…

Thanks AP. I just wondered so if you are outputting to JPG do you always use it? I found it tough to notice visually differences on the screen unless you went to an extreme and then it speckles. I guess i could output with and without to check how that looks. I understood what the intent was from revisiting the manual I just wondered if it was something in the image that triggered you or if you routinely add it…Thx

Good, it is 2021 after all. If you can offer an explanation that would be great.