Beware: Ubuntu Jammy Jellyfish

I recently started using enfuse to do focus stacking. Not particularly interested in development or new features, I just installed the Ubuntu package and went on my merry way.

Recently have been getting pop-up dialogs about upgrading to “Jammy Jellyfish” (I think they’re running out of African animals at Canonical). I’d been clicking to upgrade and having it do nothing for about a month now, then yesterday it all of a sudden decided to work. Off it went, doing the usual upgrade things, one of which was to summarize the changes so I could consider them. One of the changes was that it was going to remove hugin, and so I thought that would be okay as it should be in the replacement distro. No, bad assumption, it’s not.

Okay, I can compile stuff, so I set off to do that. Well they don’t even have certain required packages in Jammy, particularly wxWidgets. That just irritated me to no end, since I use that toolkit quite heavily. So, I’ll have to see if hugin will link to my local builds of wxWidgets.

This all has me wanting to revert to a simpler time; most reading I’ve done to look for remedies talks about the eventual Ubuntu push to “everything’s a snap”. Geesh; Debian is sounding really good right now…

4 Likes

Wow - that’s a surprise - Ubuntu – Package Search Results -- hugin - it’s been a while since I last used hugin so I didn’t notice that one.

https://groups.google.com/g/hugin-ptx/c/TCRXN5lKCEw has some of the details on what happened - one of Hugin’s dependencies was apparently broken and unmaintained for so long that it got nuked from Debian. Debian would not have been a help here because the removal happened in Debian upstream, other than possibly timing of when a particular Debian release gets branched vs. a particular Ubuntu release.

The weird thing is that libvigraimpex does appear to be somewhat actively maintained, but maybe it’s the same issue as RT is having - active development on git but cutting a release is long overdue.

Edit: To be clear, nowhere other than @ggbutcher 's post have I seen that the issue with building hugin is wxwidgets (I’ll give it a try later this week) - according to the hugin mailing list, libvigraimpex was the culprit. Someone claimed the package was “dead” and “did not build for a long time”, but it was working in 21.10, and I see ongoing development in the libvigraimpex repos - but the last formal release was 2017 which is why I commented that the issue seems to be partially similar to the current RT situation. Libvigraimpex is back in debian and ubuntu as part of Kinetic Kudu development, the package can probably be backported from the artifacts at libvigraimpex package : Ubuntu

1 Like

I am pretty sure that what ever tool you used told you which packages, would be upgraded/removed/installed extra. It is always advisable to review that list before pressing ok.
and if their upgrade tool does not give you that list of packages. then i would open a bug for that.

also latest debian:

Debian -- Package Search Results -- wxWidgets looks kinda the same as Ubuntu – Package Search Results -- wxWidgets

openSUSE Tumbleweed still has wxWidgets.

I think debian has wxwidgets, the packages are just called libwx…: wxwidgets3.0 - Debian Package Tracker
I never understood what the appeal of ubuntu was over debian, except for the easily findable working installer medium (which hopefully is finally getting fixed - hiding the install with non-free firmware because of purism is just one step too zealous).

If you install nixpkgs on any distro, hugin and enblend/enfuse are there.

Gosh - I used Hugin a few times every month, but did not realise it’s now gone (I also upgraded just a few days ago).
This is what I have found, maybe I’ll give it a try:

There’s also a flatpak: Flathub—An app store and build service for Linux
And a thread here: How to install hugin in ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy Jellyfish) - Ask Ubuntu

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that, read that, and mis-interpreted that. What I get when I try to multitask, which is not as easy for me of late…

Use libraries, they said, don’t reinvent the wheel, they said.

They forgot to mention that this wheel was a living thing that needed proper maintenance to stay alive. And not a carbon fiber tubeless wheel either.

Happiness = 1 / (number of things and people you have to rely on). Hint : they are not reliable.

5 Likes

Salut, Mon Père,

Hint : they are not reliable.

Er… Things or people?

1 Like

both.

2 Likes

I was working through the hugin build instructions, had to “de-version” things like libtiff4, got to wxWidgets, and found that there’s none of the library versions in the jammy repository. Now, I’ve got a custom-bullt set that I use for rawproc, just have to figure out how to coax the hugin build gonkulator to find it.

Of recent, I’ve been “keeping up with the Joneses” with my distro, mainly for security considerations. Might have to rethink that…

instead of stopping to update your system you want to learn how to do it properly

1. do not multitask during important steps
  2. learn how to handle potential fallout.

The more you do it, the more fluent you will get, the more comfortable you will be with change. because no matter how long you want to stick to an old distro. at some point the support runs out.

And even if you will run an enterprise distro … you will start to replace old packages with newer versions because lots of stuff will get too old to run the software you want to use.

I run openSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release distro), I update daily. If something breaks. I help to fix it. If something changes I learn the new way and move on.

“Change is the only constant in life.” Heraclitus

1 Like

This is why I like NixOS, it let’s me package specific versions of packages and build my system. I make the package for the specific version and then I can use it as long as I want and its part of my system. No PPA, no other repo. Its there, it’s repeatable.

2 Likes

and you will be stuck on an old version without bugfixes and in worst case security fixes. how did you win again?

@darix, I know you mean well, but this whole thread is not that point. What I’m running into with Jammy are significant holes in previously long-supported software. Thanks to @Entropy512 I somewhat get the hugin disconnect, but the wxWidgets one is hard to fathom. I know the devs here are all over Qt, but wxWidgets is a very capable cross-platform toolkit, lets me deploy both Linux and Windows versions of rawproc (according to @anon41087856, a single-customer software :stuck_out_tongue:) with a minimum of fuss. And minimum fuss is what I want, so I can concentrate on my real hobby, photography.

I want my desktop OS to just work, no olympic-class gymnastics involved. Right now, Jammy isn’t doing that for me…

3 Likes

I’ve found a PPA that has hugin: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/+archive/ubuntu/apps

Unfortunately, it died when I tried launching it:

(hugin:27897): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 06:58:36.530: gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'height >= -1' failed
/usr/share/hugin/data/plugins/woa.py
   CAT:Control Points
   NAM:Warped Overlap Analysis
   fails @api-max
/usr/share/hugin/data/plugins/top_five.py
   CAT:Control Points
   NAM:keep 5 CPs per image pair
   fails @api-max

(hugin:27897): Gdk-ERROR **: 06:58:36.680: The program 'hugin' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 438 error_code 2 request_code 151 (GLX) minor_code 24)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Breaking from the rolling release ?
Lts versions ?
Promise of backporting security patches?

I wouldn’t want plain debian on my servers to be honest .

1 Like

Sticking to an updated lts release is all you need security wise . I’d skip the Ubuntu .10 versions anyway, and stick on the previous lts for a bit before seeing what the reception is :).

Isn’t the wxwidgets thing that they included a new major version and hugin is still on an older one ? Can’t blame a distro for that , that they want to update to more recent versions with a new distro version.

And hugin being ejected from debian upstream, is a nasty surprise. But not in Canonical’s court so to speak.

2 Likes

As I wrote above, for all I see wxwidgets is still supported in debian (I didn’t check ubuntu, but whatever is in debian usually is in ubuntu too). What wx libraries (the .so files) do you need exactly - I can check which packages that corresponds to.

Wait what? Debian doesn’t have a rolling release - ubuntu are the ones cutting their releases from a random debian testing snapshot . Debian has 5 years of security support, if your a corp you can pay freexian for another 5 years. I mean obviously my comment was facetious, there’s likely a few reasons for ubuntu, I just don’t like a lot of their choises, but the above hardly is it.

It’s is not uncommon to have packages disappear in Ubuntu interim releases, especially stuff in Universe repos. Amarok (MP3 player) wasn’t in 19.10,for instance. This is usually due to last minute incompatibilities/unstable code that cannot be resolved before ship date.

LTS releases have more lead time and have all the packages (Amarok is back in 20.04).