Birdhouse (rate my edit)

Feedback on my edit? I think I’m starting to get a hang of this.
The photo reminded me of the door to a Hobbit House. Didn’t quite get there with my edit. But I think it’s still OK.
DT4.0
DSC06735.ARW.xmp (11.5 KB)
DSC06735.ARW (23.7 MB)

Original

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution-Non Commercial, Share-Alike.

2 Likes

Here is my quick edit. The main difference with my edit is that I used the shadow and highlights module to tackle the background where you seem to approach the background by using a second instance of exposure and masking.

DSC06735_01.ARW.xmp (9.6 KB)

1 Like

Obviously this is a subjective think, but I like your edit. The vignette works really well, and emphasizes the round door…
Terry, I like yours too, but to me akg94t’s has more ‘atmosphere’. Of course, it all depends what one wants :grinning:

2 Likes

@Terry

Terry I just opened your xmp and this is what I got:

Here’s what I downloaded for your xmp:

DSC06735_01.ARW.xmp (9.6 KB)

Maybe my dt version older that yours.

It’s a lovely color shot. So I hope you don’t mind I’ve taken a B&W approach (through ART 16.2.1). I’ve pulled the sun/shade contrast out a bit, including through the use of a couple of Local Edit masks. I’ve also taken the liberty of cropping the image in a portrait (vs landscape) aspect to create a little “tension/action” sense into the composition - if that works?

Thanks for the chance to “Play RAW.” :slight_smile:

ART (v16.2.1) Edits: DSC06735.ARW.arp (13.1 KB)

2 Likes

My version…

DSC06735.ARW.xmp (14.6 KB)

2 Likes

This is most likely the case as I am using the latest weekly build of 4.1.########

I agree. I was just doing a basic edit and not really trying to better the previous edit. I mentioned I used the shadow highlights module to manage the background while @akgt94 used a mask and second instance of exposure. I often lighten the subject and darken the background to draw the viewers attention to the point of interest. This seems to be what the original poster did here.

All understood! I didn’t mean any criticism with my comment… hope it didn’t come across that way. I’m always interested in new ways to do things :grinning:

Talking of new… here’s my version.
Do you like it or hate it? :grinning: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :astonished:

DSC06735.ARW.xmp (11.7 KB)

I was not offended. I did not regard my edit as very artist. Constructive criticism is also essential for learning.

@Terry

Are you sure you loaded the right xmp? I’m now using the latest weekly build, darktable-4.1.0+344. You mention using shadows and highlights, but it is not in that xmp. Plus, the color problem comes from a custom color calibration setting.

I played with the tone equalizer some, but I think I like mine more without that step. dt 4.0

Without tone eq:

DSC06735_01.ARW.xmp (5.4 KB)

With tone eq:

DSC06735.ARW.xmp (6.9 KB)

@Tim

You just applied tone equalizer and stopped developing. Usually you don’t just end there. For one thing, after pulling in the highs and bringing up the lows, you can use tone equalizer in tone curve mode to add back contrast.

1 Like

Hi @akgt94,
I used a little creative freedom and made a b/w version :wink:

DSC06735.ARW.xmp (31.3 KB)

10 Likes

DSC06735.ARW.xmp (13.2 KB)

My version
DT 4.0

1 Like

I did try the color calibration module on this image but gave up on it as I preferred the white balance module for this image. For some reason the XMP file has not reflected this. Hmm… not sure why.

I like the blacked-out background. I’ll look at your edit later

DSC06735.jpg.out.pp3 (11.5 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I will study that.