Black and White Dog - multiple light sources

Meet my black-and-white dog. His name is Exposure Challenge.

Getting good detail in both the black and white areas white fur is tough on a good day. I was looking at posts like this and this on how to handle it. This scene is giving me a lot of trouble.You can see in the histogram that I’m clipping a lot in the red channel, but it’s under-exposed a lot.

Here is my edit, so far.

I had two different edits in mind. Above is supposed to be Version 1.

1. More even lighting on the scene.
  2. Use the window light as a spot light. Darken (de-emphasize) the background. I want the intensity in his face to be the focus.

Here is the source and my edit (DT 3.8).
DSC06731.ARW (23.8 MB)
DSC06731.ARW.xmp (8.3 KB)

SOOC JPEG for reference.

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution-Non Commercial, Share-Alike.

2 Likes

Black and white dog - black and white photo :man_shrugging:

DSC06731_05.ARW.xmp (24,3 KB)

7 Likes

Nice. That nails the spotlight effect. Since most of it is shadow, black & white makes sense.

Your edit is very busy. I’m new to DT. Do you often use multiple instances? I’ll have to look at your masks to see what you were doing with them.

You need to spend some time here then… Editing moments with darktable

This thread by Boris and his channel on YT are a wealth of information…

3 Likes

How about a close-up?

DSC06731.ARW.xmp (7.9 KB)

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

My contribution.

DSC06731.ARW.xmp (12,5 KB)

1 Like

I went for the more even lighting :

DSC06731.ARW.pp3 (22.6 KB) RT dev.

1 Like

Not necessarily, it depends on the photo. In your example, I had to make a lot of corrections (overexposure, colour cast, backlighting) which made the editing more complex.

In order to save you a lot of work afterwards, I would recommend to pay attention to these problems already when taking the photo.

2 Likes

Went for a natural look and a tighter crop, focusing on the dogs expression.
Done with latest darktable git.

2 Likes

My version…

Darktable 3.9.0~git24.477bc5c41a-1
DSC06731.ARW.xmp (21.1 KB)

5 Likes

Nice dog!

DSC06731.ARW.xmp (42.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. I’ve seen that Boris has videos, but I’ve mostly been watching Bruce Williams and Rico Richardson.

As a noob who only does photography for a hobby (i.e. limited time), it’s hard to decide who to watch and which ones.

I’ve noticed a lot of content uses display-referenced modules and workflow. When I see a video using DT 2.x-series, it’s tough to decide whether to watch or skip. Sure, a lot of it is relevant, but you don’t know how much until you commit to watch it. Since I’m learning on 3.8, seeing content using mostly scene-referenced modules seems more helpful.

The other issue with trying to consume massive amounts of video content is trying to find something that’s likely on-topic to photos in your collection or a specific photo. Do I really want to watch a video where the sample is street photography if I just imported a snow day outside with the dogs? For having a specific amount of time available to watch videos, you have to be selective about it.

I used to hate sitting down to watch YouTube instructional videos (still do). But the video format is great for all of the “worked examples” and steps. And the Play Raw section is nice to browse. I do appreciate everyone’s contributions.

I was going to do a final crop like that. You beat me to it!

Nice edit. I like the border.

ART

2 Likes

It’s a long standing thread…while you are correct there can still be useful content in older videos…Boris’s thread span quite a long string of videos. his last 10 or so are really a must watch…your time will be well spent working your way up the thread from the end towards the start

1 Like

RawTherapee Dev. For hair/fur, I like using some local tone mapping to really make it pop.

DSC06731-1.jpg.out.pp3 (32.2 KB)

2 Likes

If you simply want to have an instruction, it’s a waste of time - but the also using darktable is a waste of time.
To benefit from the capabilities of darktable you need to know, how to deal with different issues that might occur also in quite different scenes.
The more instructional videos explaining the tools are great to get a basic overview on darktables capabilities. It’s like explaining how to use a brush and paint by an users manual :wink:
The more practical and workflow oriented videos are great to learn how to use these in practice by example. Becoming experienced isn’t a result of watching videos but practicing and transferring the guidance of videos into own experience

DSC06731.ARW.pp3 (14.5 KB)

3 Likes

@ akgt94 I think the original overall mood is quite good. May just add a little bit of sharpening. The white re-balance kills the mood IMHO.
@ gaaned92 I think it’s too greenish.
@ age Nice.

1 Like

There seems to be a desire here for warm tones in the picture. I tweaked my previous image with some color toning and ciecam.
DSC06731-2.jpg.out.pp3 (32.2 KB)

2 Likes