Blackrock Cottage, Glencoe

Continuing the discussion from [Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos:

I showed my wife this in both colour and B&W. She reckoned the colour version was better, I prefer the B&W. Over to everyone else to have a play:

_CTW1216_01.NEF.xmp (12.9 KB)
_CTW1216.NEF (54.4 MB)
These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

8 Likes

This is simply just a beautiful shot.
…and it has beautiful colours! I wouldn’t dare to not show them:

_CTW1216.NEF.xmp (16.4 KB)

14 Likes

I agree, I also prefer black/white.
With ART 1.21

_CTW1216.NEF.arp (11.2 KB)

Greetings. Roberto

8 Likes

_CTW1216.NEF.xmp (18.1 KB)

8 Likes

Thank you for this great shot!

_CTW1216_RT-2.jpg.out.pp3 (19.5 KB)

13 Likes

A beautiful image that lends itself to color or B/W but I stuck with the color version. I wanted dark shadows to contrast the midtones and highlights. WB is as shot in the camera and the cool look probably suits the scene.

_CTW1216.NEF.xmp (12.7 KB)

3 Likes

Wonderful image, that opens many different possibilities for editing - thanks for sharing. Here I went for a more “crispy morning” look (although it was apparently taken in the afternoon), in colour and in (quasi) monochromatic …

_CTW1216.NEF.xmp (61.3 KB)

_CTW1216_01.NEF.xmp (131.2 KB)

3 Likes

_CTW1216.NEF.xmp (14.8 KB)

2 Likes

Old style BW edit

_CTW1216.NEF.xmp (11.3 KB)

The roof(ing?) material does not fit now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The TO said he prefers a B/W Version, so I decided to make one as well:

_CTW1216_01.NEF.xmp (21.3 KB)

6 Likes

Another monochrome version.

_CTW1216.NEF.xmp (11.5 KB)

4 Likes

Enjoyed the play, thanks.

_CTW1216_01.NEF.xmp (39.6 KB)

My version…

_CTW1216.NEF.xmp (17.1 KB)

4 Likes

I don’t like the muted gray of the cottage in my previous edit. So here is a correction

_CTW1216_RT-3.jpg.out.pp3 (24.4 KB)

3 Likes

_CTW1216.jpg.out.pp3 (15.9 KB)

3 Likes

What a great shot! It looks kind of like a painting. dt 4.6.1

_CTW1216.NEF.xmp (10.5 KB)

1 Like

My fun in GIMP

To echo everyone else here: what a great shot to work with. Thanks, @epeeist !

I like the B&W and the colour, so I’ll post both if that’s OK. I used RT 5.10 (lacam16n pre-dev) for both, but sent the B&W version to Affinity so I could use the Nik plugin. As a consequence, the sidecar file for the B&W version will not tell the whole story.

Blackrock Cottage.NEF.pp3 (15.1 KB)

Blackrock Cottage Colour.jpg.out.pp3 (15.5 KB)

Ah good old clencoe. I would love to visit one day. I watch videos from english photographers like Nigel Danson or Thomas Heaton and envy their possibility to visit such places regularly. Nice capture by the way. I especially love the light dusting on the Mountain. This gives a nice texture. In my opinion both versions can work.
I love the edits which bring out the illumination of the peak on the rhs. Was this direct or indirect light?

The peak on the RHS is Buachaille Etive Mòr. The picture was taken at about 3:30. I was slightly to the south of the mountain, and west is to the left of the picture.